Posted by John on Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:54am.
The two blocks in the figure, of mass m and M respectively, are not attached, but there is a coefficient of static friction u between them. The surface below the heavier block M is frictionless. What is the minimum force magnitude F required to keep the smaller block m from slipping down? Express your answer in terms of m, M, u, and g.
F-->| m | M |
- Physics - John, Monday, May 16, 2011 at 12:57am
- Physics - John, Monday, May 16, 2011 at 1:00am
That's still not right but hopefully you can understand it. I wish it would just let me post a link to an image.
- Physics - drwls, Monday, May 16, 2011 at 2:28am
Leave spaces between the letters and numbers of the image web site and it should appear in your post
- Physics - John, Monday, May 16, 2011 at 2:35am
i . imgur . com/Ki7wM.jpg
- Physics - Damon, Monday, May 16, 2011 at 4:02am
on the whole system:
F = (m+M)a
on block m, call Fb the force between blocks:
F - Fb = m a
(m+M)a - Fb = m a
Fb = M a
for no slip:
Fb u = m g
Fb = m g/u
M a = m g/u
a = (m/M) (g/u)
so using F = (m+M)a
F = (m+M)(m/M)(g/u)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - The two blocks (m = 37 kg and M = 109 kg) in the figure below are not ...
- Physics - A block of mass m1 is on top of a block of mass m2. Block 2 is ...
- Physics - Two blocks of masses 40.0kg and 20.0kg are stacked on a table with the...
- Physics - A block with mass M = 5.00 kg rests on a frictionless table and is ...
- Physics - The two blocks (m = 13 kg and M = 89 kg) are not attached to each ...
- phys - Two blocks of mass m1 = 1.70 kg and m2 = 5.20 kg are connected by a ...
- Physics - Consider the system of blocks in the figure below, with m2 = 5.0 kg ...
- physics - The coefficient of static friction is 0.604 between two blocks. The ...
- math - A block of mass M1 = 2.7 kg rests on top of a second block of mass M2 = 4...
- Physics - A block with mass M rests on a frictionless surface and is connected ...