Posted by Alyson on Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 9:26pm.
I need to explain which species is oxidized and reduced, what the reducing agent and oxidizing is, and explain why for each of the following equations. One of them is not a reduction-oxidization problem and I need to explain why.
1. 2Na + Cl2 --> 2NaCl
2. Pb(NO3)2 + 2NaCl --> PbCl2 + 2NaNO3
3. 2PbS + 3O2 --> 2SO2
Thank you so much!!
Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 9:34pm
Here is the information you need to answer the question.
Oxidation is the loss of electrons.
Reduction is the gain of electrons.
(Hints for #1. Na has an oxidation state of zero on the left and +1 on the right. Cl2 has an oxidation state of zero on the left and -1 on the right. Here is a site that will show you how to assign oxidation states if you don't know how.
The equation which is not a redox equation can be determined by finding the equation in which none of the elements change oxidation state. Someone will be glad to critique your work if you care to post it.
Chemistry - Alyson, Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 9:45pm
Is Cl reduced and the oxidizing agent, while Na is oxidized and the reduction agent in number 1?
Is number two the one that is not an oxidization-reduction problem?
and in number 3, is O reduced and the oxidizing agent, while Pb is oxidized and the reduction agent?
thank you so much for your help!
Chemistry - bobpursley, Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 10:03pm
right on all three. Go to the head of the class.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - For the following redox reaction, provide half reactions that show ...
- chemistry - Identify the species oxidized, the species reduced, the oxidizing ...
- Science(chem) - This question relates to what someone posted below... It was ...
- chemistry - what are the oxidatoin numbers in this chemical reaction Ni+H2SO4=H2...
- college chemistry - Consider only the species (at standard conditions) Na+, Cl...
- Chemistry - Redox Reactions Cl2 + Co 2--> Cl- + Co2+ species oxidized? ...
- science - Al + Fe^3+ -> Al^3+ + Fe^2+ which substance is being oxidized?which...
- chemistry - 3PbO2 + 2Cr3++ 2H2O3Pb2+ + 2CrO42-+ 4H+ In the above redox reaction...
- chemistry - SO42- + HAsO2+ 2H+H3AsO4 + SO2 In the above redox reaction, use ...
- chemistry redox reactions - can someone check my labels for the reaction of a ...