Posted by Mary on Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 9:23am.
In a right triangular prism, the legs of the base are each doubled, and the height is reduced by half. How does the new volume compare to the original volume of the same prism?
A.the new volume will be 1/2 as big as the original
B.the new volume will be two times bigger than original
C. the new volume will be 1/8 as big as original
D. the new volume will be 8 times bigger than original.
Algebra-right question for Jai - Jai, Sunday, May 15, 2011 at 9:43am
the volume of a triangular prism is given by
V = (1/2)*(B*H*L)
B = base
H = height
L = length
thus the new volume becomes,
V' = (1/2)*(2*B)(2*H)*L
V' = 2*(1/2)*(B*H*L) or
V' = 2*V
thus the new volume is twice the original.
note that first statement is tricky. i interpreted it as "the legs (base and height of triangle) of the base (meaning the base of the prism, which is a right triangle) are each doubled" thus saying that both base, B, and height, H is doubled, and not 1/2 of H. that's why in V', the H is multiplied by 2.
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - a triangular prism has a volume of 896 cubic meters. If the prism is ...
- geometry - The base of a right triangular prism is a right isosceles triangle ...
- Geometry - The volume of a rectangular prism is 960 cubic inches. If the ...
- Geometry - The base of a right triangular prism is a right isosceles triangle ...
- math - The base of a triangular prism is a right triangle whose legs are 7cm and...
- EASY Volume of shapes - The right triangular prism has bases that are ...
- math - If a rectangular prism's length is doubled, it's width quadrupled and it'...
- math - the dimensions of trianguloar prism A andtriangular prism B are ...
- Geometry - A rectangular prism has a base that is 5 cm by 7 cm and a height of ...
- Algebra!! - 1)volume of a ctlinder: 198mm Radius base: ?? Height of cylinder: ...