Posted by Micaela on Friday, May 13, 2011 at 1:57am.
PLEASE I NEED HELP......
Two pieces of cake weigh as much as one apple and one cherry. One apple weighs as much as five cherries and one piece of cake. How many cherries weigh as much as one apple?
Math - Jai, Friday, May 13, 2011 at 4:03am
first let's represent their weights using variables:
let C = weight of one piece of cake
let A = weight of one apple
let H = weight of one cherry
from the first statement,
(1) 2C = A + H
for the second statement,
(2) A = 5H + C
now we need to find how mach does cherries weigh as much as 1 apple. thus we need to manipulate these equations so that the weight of cake, C will not be involved in the final equation (in other words, we'll eliminate C)
first, from equation (2), we transpose C to the left side and A to the right side, and multiply both sides by 2, and it becomes:
-2C = -2A + 10H
then we add this to equation (1):
2C = A + H
-2C = -2A + 10H
0 = -A + 11H
A = 11H
therefore, 1 apple weighs as much as 11 cherries.
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Two pieces of cake weigh as much as one apple and one cherry. One apple ...
- Math - 2 apples weigh the same as a banana and a cherry.A banana weighs the same...
- math - Two of alexandra apples weigh the same as a banana.A banana and a cherry ...
- Algebra - Set up and solve a system of equations for each problem John and ...
- English - apple of my eye: One's favorite person; the one you love most. In Old ...
- Algebra - Steve and Belinda are selling pies for a school fundraiser. Customers ...
- MATH - nan brought an apple for snack time.she gave 3/4 of the apple to will and...
- Math - Three boxes are labeled peaches, apples, and peaches & apples. Each box ...
- English - I urgently need you to check these questions: 1) When and where were ...
- math - Starbucks sells a slice of Iced Lemon pound Cake for $2.45 and a bottle ...