A question on my previous post: is that a mistake to say "he requested me to leave" Can't "request" be followed by "someone to do something"?
You can say/write like these --
~ He requested that I leave.
~ He requested that she pick up his tickets for the baseball game for him.
~ He asked her to pick up his tickets...
The two verbs (request & ask) have slightly different needs as far as what words/phrasing go after them.
Can I write the summary below in the present tense though the chapter is in the simple past?
1)The first person Gulliver sees at the Academy of Lagado is a long-haired man with sooty hands and face wearing ragged clothes.
Comma after "face" - the rest is fine.
2) He tells him that he had spent eight years extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers which were then put in vials hermetically sealed and used to warm the air in cold summers.
Clarify all the he's - which one is Gulliver? Which one is the long-haird man? -- Comma after "vials" and "sealed."
3) He also tells Gulliver that in eight years' time he will be able to supply ( I need a synonym) the Governors gardens with sunshine at a reasonable price (rate).
Use "provide" in place of "supply." Either "price" or "rate" will be fine.
4) He complains that it had been a very dear season for cucumbers and begs him for money (asks him to give him some money)
I don't understand "dear season" - and again, clarify those pronoun references.
5) Then Gulliver goes into another chamber and he is almost overcome (??) with a horrible stink. The projector of this cell is the most ancient student of the Academy.
Comma needed; "overcome by"
6) His hands and clothes are covered with filth since his task is to reduce human extrement to its original food.
Another projector is busy at turning ice into gunpowder.
"excrement" (sp); remove "at"
7) The most ingenious architect has contrived (found out?) a new method for building houses by beginning at the roof and working downwards to the foundations, which is normal practice among the bees and spiders.
contrived, discovered, found (but not with "out"
Management accounting - this is added to my previous question assume that the ...
English1A-previous post - I responded to my previous post. Can someone help me, ...
try - I guess my question that I posted does not come up I would like to answer ...
Mathmatics - what is 11-5=12- 1/3t=1/5 That solution is not correct, the 1/3 is ...
anatomy and physiology II - why does air move into the lungs? Bob Pursley ...
CHEMISTRY - I still don't get it. See question in previous post
chem-follow up question to previous post - how do you calculate the molar mass?
english - can someone please help me with my previous post...i don't have a clue...
English - Could someone please take a look at my previous post, thanks a lot.
science - The speed of light in a prticular ype of glass is 1.68x10^8 m/s. What ...