Posted by Hannah on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 7:53pm.
Im having trouble on a question Im not sure what it is they are asking for.
A voltaic cell similar to that shown in Figure 20.5 is constructed. One electrode compartment consists of a silver strip placed in a solution of AgNO3, and the other has a iron strip placed in a solution of FeCl2. The overall cell reaction is given below.
2 Ag+(aq) + Fe(s) 2 Ag(s) + Fe2+(aq)
a)Which electrode is the anode, and which is the cathode.
wouldn't the Ag be the anode because it is losing electrons and the Fe be the cathode???
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:08pm
The Ag electrode gains electrons doesn't it. Ag^+ + e ==> Ag
You may be confusing yourself because you have no arrow to show the products versus the reactants. ALWAYS place an arrow in an equation. It isn't an equation without one.
Chemistry - Hannah, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:10pm
oh ok i see! thanks!
Chemistry - Hannah, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:17pm
i have a follow up question:
In which directions do the cations and anions migrate through the solution?
toward the silver cathode ? or
toward the iron cathode ?
so do the anions(Fe)migrate to the silver? and cations toward the iron? there is a diagram that goes along with this and im not sure if you need to look at it to solve this problem
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 11:00pm
The Fe electrode is the anode and negatively charged. The Ag electrode is the cathode and positively charged. I would like to see the diagram but there is no way to do that.
This diagram may help. Note the direction of the K^+ and the NO3^- from the KNO3 salt bridge.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem 2 - Consider a chromium-silver voltaic cell that is constructed such that ...
- Chemistry - One half-cell in a voltaic cell is constructed from a silver wire ...
- AP Chemistry - This is the question I am having trouble with: A voltaic cell ...
- chemistry - a cell is constructed by immersing a strip of silver in .10 M AgNO3 ...
- Chemistry - Consider a chromium-silver voltaic cell that is constructed such ...
- Chemistry - A galvanic cell is constructed with a silver-silver chloride ...
- college chemistry - A galvanic cell is constructed with a silver-silver chloride...
- chemistry - I posted this que before but got no answers pls help me :( A voltaic...
- CHEMISTRY - Cant figure this out, I feel like the answer I keep getting is way ...
- electric chem - A voltaic cell is made by placing an iron electrode in a ...