Posted by Hannah on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 7:53pm.
Im having trouble on a question Im not sure what it is they are asking for.
A voltaic cell similar to that shown in Figure 20.5 is constructed. One electrode compartment consists of a silver strip placed in a solution of AgNO3, and the other has a iron strip placed in a solution of FeCl2. The overall cell reaction is given below.
2 Ag+(aq) + Fe(s) 2 Ag(s) + Fe2+(aq)
a)Which electrode is the anode, and which is the cathode.
wouldn't the Ag be the anode because it is losing electrons and the Fe be the cathode???
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:08pm
The Ag electrode gains electrons doesn't it. Ag^+ + e ==> Ag
You may be confusing yourself because you have no arrow to show the products versus the reactants. ALWAYS place an arrow in an equation. It isn't an equation without one.
- Chemistry - Hannah, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:10pm
oh ok i see! thanks!
- Chemistry - Hannah, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 8:17pm
i have a follow up question:
In which directions do the cations and anions migrate through the solution?
toward the silver cathode ? or
toward the iron cathode ?
so do the anions(Fe)migrate to the silver? and cations toward the iron? there is a diagram that goes along with this and im not sure if you need to look at it to solve this problem
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 11:00pm
The Fe electrode is the anode and negatively charged. The Ag electrode is the cathode and positively charged. I would like to see the diagram but there is no way to do that.
This diagram may help. Note the direction of the K^+ and the NO3^- from the KNO3 salt bridge.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chem 2 - Consider a chromium-silver voltaic cell that is constructed such that ...
- Chemistry - One half-cell in a voltaic cell is constructed from a silver wire ...
- AP Chemistry - This is the question I am having trouble with: A voltaic cell ...
- chemistry - a cell is constructed by immersing a strip of silver in .10 M AgNO3 ...
- Chemistry - Consider a chromium-silver voltaic cell that is constructed such ...
- Chemistry - A galvanic cell is constructed with a silver-silver chloride ...
- college chemistry - A galvanic cell is constructed with a silver-silver chloride...
- chemistry - I posted this que before but got no answers pls help me :( A voltaic...
- CHEMISTRY - Cant figure this out, I feel like the answer I keep getting is way ...
- electric chem - A voltaic cell is made by placing an iron electrode in a ...