Posted by Janet on Monday, May 9, 2011 at 10:00pm.
The area bounded between the line y=x+4 and the quadratic function y=(x^2)-2x.
Hint: Draw the region and find the intersection of the two graphs. Add and subtract areas until the appropriate area is found.
I found the intersection points as (-1,3) and (4,8).
I'm not sure what to do with this. I think the answer is 125/6, but not sure.
Please show me the steps on how to get this answer if it's correct.
- Calculus - drwls, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 10:18pm
Your intersection points are correct. Between those points, the y = x+4 curve is above the y = x^2 -2x curve.
The area between the curves is the integral of x + 4 dx from x = -1 to 4, MINUS the integral of x^2 -2x between the same two x values. That equals
x^2/2 + 4x @ x = 4 - (x^2/2 +4x) @ x = -1
x^3/3 -x^2 @ x = 4 - (x^3/3 -x^2) @x = -1
- Calculus - Damon, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 10:36pm
Your intersections are correct.
the vertex of the parabola is at (1,-1)
The zeros of the parabola are at(0,0) and at (2,0)
Between x = 0 and x = 2, the parabola dips below the x axis
we want the height of the line between y = x+4 and y=x^2-2x
-x^2 + 3x + 4
integrate that dx from -1 to +4
-x^3/3 + 3x^2/2 + 4x
-64/3 + 24 + 16 = (-64+72+48)/3
+1/3 +3/2 -4 = 2/6 + 9/6 - 24/6
so we want
56/3 -(-13/6) = 112/6+13/6 = 125/6
yep, agree 125/6
- Calculus - Janet, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 10:49pm
Yeah. Thanks for showing me the steps
Answer this Question
- Calculus - 1. Find the area of the region bounded by the curves and lines y=e^x ...
- calculus - 2. Sketch the region in the first quadrant that is bounded by the ...
- Calculus AB - Let R be the region bounded by the graphs of y=sin(pi x) and y=(x^...
- calculus - 1. Find the area of the region bounded by f(x)=x^2 +6x+9 and g(x)=5(x...
- Calculus - Let f be the function given by f(x)=(x^3)/4 - (x^2)/3 - x/2 + 3cosx. ...
- Calc - Find the area of the region bounded by the curves y2 = x, y – 4 = x, y...
- Calculus - The region R is bounded by the x-axis, x = 1, x = 3, and y = 1/x^3 A...
- calculus - Consider the graphs of y = 3x + c and y^2 = 6x, where c is a real ...
- calculus - 1. Let S be the region in the first quadrant bounded by the graphs of...
- math - Question-2; Consider the function f(x)= -cos3x -4sin3x. (a)Find the ...