Posted by Anonymous on Monday, May 9, 2011 at 8:50am.
If the radius of a cone is cut in half, the volume of the cone is multiplied by what number?
geometry: volume of cone - Jai, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 8:58am
recall that volume of cone is given by
V = pi*(r^2)*h/3
pi = 3.14 (constant)
r = radius
h = height
if r becomes (1/2)r,
V,new = pi*[(1/2)r]^2*h/3
V,new = 1/4[pi*(r^2)*h/3]
V,new = (1/4)V
thus multiplied by 1/4.
hope this helps~ :)
geometry: volume of cone - Reiny, Monday, May 9, 2011 at 8:58am
original volume = (1/3)π(r^2)h
new volume = (1/3)π(r/2)^2 h = (1/3)π((r^2)/4)h
so multiplied by 1/4
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 7th g-math - An ice-cream shop offers a small size cone and a large size cone. ...
- Math - the formula for the volume of a cone is v=1/3pir^2h. The volume cone x is...
- Calculus - Given a right circular cone, you put an upside-down cone inside it so...
- Geometry - Infinitely many different sectors can be cut from a circular piece of...
- geometry - 11. Infinitely many different sectors can be cut from a circular ...
- Calculus - A cone is inscribed in a sphere of radius a, centred at the origin. ...
- Calculus: Optimization - I have no idea how to approach this problem, if someone...
- Math - A cone has a volume of 41 cubic meters. If cut the cone in half, what ...
- Geometry - "A cone has the radius of 24 and its volume is 1,920 what is the ...
- geometry - The volume of a cone is 54 pi cubic inches. The radius and height of ...