Posted by EILEEN on Friday, May 6, 2011 at 11:38pm.
Week 3 Application: Case Scenario
Capital Improvement Plan
Every two years, the city prepares a capital improvement plan (CIP), which forecasts capital improvement needs, revenues, and expenditures. This year you have been asked to submit upcoming capital needs for the police department covering 5 fiscal years.
The projects included in the CIP must cost over $25,000 and are generally related to major infrastructure projects including the city's sewer and water system, roadways, parks, and facilities. While the city council approves the entire plan, only the first 2 years of the plan are approved for funding. The final 3 years of the plan are provided for planning purposes only.
After some consideration you have identified two capital improvement projects—a remodel of the men’s and women’s locker rooms and furniture replacement throughout the policing facility.
Capital Improvement Project Summary
The police department was built in 1993. Both the men’s and women’s locker rooms include restrooms with typical faucets, toilets, shower stalls, and tile walls and floors. Because of the extensive use of these facilities by all three patrol shifts every day, the tile surfaces, faucets, shower stalls, and counters are worn. Water pools outside of the shower stalls and there is rust on the faucets and countertops. A few of the countertops are cracked and linoleum is peeling from the sides of the countertops. Your proposal suggests replacement of all fixtures, counters, and tiling with water-saving toilets and low-flow shower faucets. Your proposed total cost for the remodel is $46,000.
The furniture in the police department was purchased in 1993. It is well used by employees and those who visit the police station. You are proposing to replace the lobby furniture on both floors of the station; desks and desk chairs at 11 patrol sergeant workstations; eight desks used by records clerks and supervisors; the soft furniture in the police chief’s office and in the interview room; all front desk furniture; and all desks, chairs, and other furniture in the Investigations unit. The total cost for this project is $97,000.
While considering the project summary, write a capital improvement plan by following the instructions provided in the Application area of the classroom.
Review the case scenario provided in the Learning Resources and focus on the various budget expenses related to personnel services.
Review Chapter 3 of your course text, The Basics of Public Budgeting and Financial Management, and the budget template provided in the Learning Resources to gain an understanding of the proper budget format.
Review the video segment “Budget Proposals” and consider information you might provide to justify budgeted expenses.
Complete a new personnel expense budget for the department profiled in the case scenario using the template provided.
Consider why the personnel expenses you identified are reasonable, necessary, and important to the budget.
The assignment (1–2 pages):
Develop a new personnel expense budget for the rural police department profiled in the case scenario by clearly identifying each personnel expense.
Justify why the personnel expenses you indentified are reasonable, necessary, and important to the budget.
- PLANNING AND BUDGETING - SraJMcGin, Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 1:21am
What have you done on the project? Tell us how we might HELP you but we do not DO the work for you.
- PLANNING AND BUDGETING - EILEEN, Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 1:24pm
I need help on startig it a lay out then I can go from there. Do I write it out or is it a spread sheet I dont get the concept please help
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- PSYCHOLOGY - Review the case scenario provided in the Learning Resources and ...
- English - I need help writing a lead sentence, it has to answer the who, what, ...
- Corporate Finance -- - PBC Ltd., a general insurance company, has historically ...
- accounting - a) Use the following data to compute averafe revenues per store, ...
- Accounting - Why do revenues increase capital while expenses decrease capital? ...
- finaicane - Analyze the following scenario: River County is planning several ...
- Finances - Analyze the following scenario: River County is planning several ...
- Math - industrial capital increase each year in half and spends USD 11,000 a ...
- accounting - Analyze the following scenario: River County is planning several ...
- accounting - Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper, using APA guidelines, based on ...