Posted by derrius on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 11:55pm.
A speedboat racer travels at a steady rate of 0.75 of a mile per 0.25 of a minute.
How many minutes does it take for the boat to travel 3 miles?
How long will it take for the boat to travel 7.5 miles?
- math - Jai, Friday, May 6, 2011 at 12:02am
for the first question, we just use ratio and proportion.
let x = time it takes to travel 3 miles.
0.75 mi : 0.25 min = 3 mi : x min
therefore, writing in fraction,
0.75/0.25 = 3/x
0.75x = 0.25*3
0.75x = 0.75
x = 1 minute
for the second, we also use ratio and proportion:
let y = time it takes to travel 7.5 miles.
0.75 mi : 0.25 min = 7.5 mi : y min
thus, writing in fraction,
0.75/0.25 = 7.5/y
0.75y = 0.25*7.5
y = 2.5 minutes
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A speedboat racer travels at a steady rate of 0.75 of a mile per 0.25 of ...
- math - A speedboat racer travels at a steady of 0.75 of a mile per 0.25 of a ...
- math - There are 3 speedboats travelling down a straight river that runs North...
- math - a boat travels 75 miles in 4 hours. at that rate, how long will it take ...
- Algebra - A coast guard helicopter receives a distress signal from a boat. the ...
- Math - A distressed ship is 10 miles south and 8 miles east of a coast guard ...
- Algebra - 2. A long distance phone company has a monthly fee of $7.95 and ...
- Algebra - Need help with these please--- 2. A long distance phone company has a ...
- math - A boat sails 'm' miles upstream at the rate of 'r' miles per hour. The ...
- Math - Alicia went on a steamboat ride up the Mississippi River. The boat ...