Posted by Jess on Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:13pm.
For my history class I have to do a research report about a social topic and I want to talk about cults. My teacher said to choose one and I chose Heaven's Gate. At first I was going to talk about the harmful effects of cults but after researching it, it was hard to find. A lot of it is a matter of opinion. So now I'm on the fence of what I should write about. What should my thesis statement be?
- History - Ms. Sue, Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:16pm
You've learned a lot already! :-)
These sites will help you develop your thesis statement.
After you've decided on your thesis statement, we'll be glad to comment on it.
- History - Jess, Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:28pm
I was thinking maybe it could be something like this:
While the effects of a cult are a matter of opinion, it is important to realize that "mind control" is more of an unclear and incorrectly named reason for cult conversion.
I dont know if this makes sense or maybe it should be more specific? I'm trying to say that mind control is not exactly true for cult conversion.
- History - Writeacher, Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:35pm
You wrote, "I'm trying to say that mind control is not exactly true for cult conversion."
I think the bold part of what you wrote is the crux of what you're getting at. Please clarify the meaning of "true" for me, though.
- History - Jess, Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 10:00pm
Not true as in mind control is not a valid reason for cult conversion. Does that make more sense?
- History - Writeacher, Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 10:06pm
OK, let's make sure I understand. Let me know if I don't, OK?
Something like this ~ mind control is not always a factor in a person's conversion to a cult.
Brainwashing and other forms of mind control are not always needed in order for a person to decide to join a cult.
I have trouble with the wording "valid reason" or "true" because I'm not clear on the "validity" or the "truth" -- on the part of the person joining the cult? or on the part of the person doing the recruiting? or ... ?
Answer this Question
- American History - I'm doing a research project and it has to be at least 3 ...
- research paper question - I am currently taking a class that focuses on the ...
- concept paper - I have to write a concept paper where I can pick any topic (...
- English Research Report - Our class has to write a research report on any ...
- English help - I need to write research paper and I trying to find topic to ...
- Research Report - I'm doing a research report about the Stonehenge. My thesis is...
- 12th grade- Social Science - I need help in making a hypothesis statement for a ...
- AED - CheckPoint: Multiple Intelligence Theory • Due Date: Day 4 [Individual] ...
- English 7 (please read and please help!) - We have to write this essay for ...
- history - what lifestyle changes were required by ordinary americans or ...