Posted by Aisyah on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 6:01am.
One of the important teachings of Islam is to be truthful. It is no doubt
relevant when dealing with people/society.
However does it apply equally in the realm of our psychology & subsconscious
mind? In Psychology,it is a well known fact that one can change oneself thru
positive self-affirmation & visualisation .It is believed that the
self-affirmations to the subconscious mind is best done in an “already achieved
mode”. For example,a student who is weak in mathematics and wish to improve on
it should say the self-affirmations as “I am excellent at mathematics” & also
visualize himself as ALREADY being good at Maths repeatedly. Or a person who is
a coward could reprogram his mind by saying to himself,” I am brave”,etc.This is
so that the subconscious mind is set with the positive intended goal and thus
will program the whole body with the message.
But the question is that such self-affirmation is not the truth (or not the
When he is telling himself that he is ALREADY being good at Maths, he is
actually “lying “ to himself. Is it acceptable in Islam?
In surah al-anfaal verse 43 & 44 describes how Allah makes the Muslims see the
enemy as small in number whereas they are actually LARGER than the Muslims. So
it seems it is allowable to “lie” to oneself in a positive way?
Also the concept of “husnul zann” of giving “70 excuses” when dealing with
Muslims show that we prefer to see the positive aspects rather than the real
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- islam - One of the important teachings of Islam is to be truthful. It is no ...
- islamic - One of the important teachings of Islam is to be truthful. It is no ...
- islam - 1.In the Quran 3:159 “…then when you have taken a decision, tawakkal (...
- Islam - Assalamualaikum I Rely need help your help to answer this question. 1) ...
- AP world history - 1) What conditions influenced the rise of Islam in Arabia? 2...
- social studies - in what chronological order did the following religious groups ...
- aP world history - 2) How did Islam unite and effectively rule diverse people ...
- world history - need help asap! please 2) How did Islam unite and effectively ...
- soial studies-URGENT!!NEED BY 8:25 A.M. TOMORROW! - Who was an important person ...
- writeacher - re religious education - sorry to be a pain but could you read my ...