Posted by Please help!! on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 10:06am.
okayy sooo this matching thing is wierd.. i don't understand it..
-Heat can change energy from one form to another, but the amount of energy in the universe is constant.
-Two objects in thermal equilibruim will have no net heat flow between them.
-The tendency of the universe is to increase entropy.
i don't understand how first or second or even zeroth even go to these... i didn't even no zeroth was a word!!
- IPC - Jai, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 10:21am
Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics = two objects in thermal equilibruim will have no net heat flow between them.
**this only means that when two objects are in thermal equilibrium (or their temperature is the same/equal), heat is being transferred. this is a consequence of the principle that Energy flows from object of higher temperature to lower temperature, until their temperatures become the same.
First Law of Thermodynamics = heat can change energy from one form to another, but the amount of energy in the universe is constant.
**this is the famous one (for me, lol). it only means 'Energy can neither be created nor destroyed'.
Second Law of thermodynamics = the tendency of the universe is to increase entropy.
**the value entropy, S, can only be greater than or equal to zero, and can never be negative.
..me too. when i was studying thermodynamics, i thought 'Zeroth' was the last name of the person who developed the Zeroth Law of Thermo.. lol~
anyway, hope this helps~ :)
- IPC - Please help!!, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 10:26am
hahaha thank you! it helped a lot! :)
- IPC - Jai, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 10:27am
there was a typo. from the first paragraph,
...this only means that when two objects are in thermal equilibrium (or their temperature is the same/equal), NO heat is being transferred...
and the rest is ok. :)
- IPC - bobpursley, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 12:35pm
actually, Jai, it is a little more complicated then NO. Heat is being transfered, but at equal rates, so no net heat transfer occurs. This is the essence of thermal equilibrium.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Integrated Physics and Chemistry - Matching... 1.)zeroth 2.)first 3.)second -...
- chem please help drbob222 - Two objects A and B have the same mass and the same ...
- physics-please check - is this right?: when a form of energy changes from one ...
- Science - How are temperature and thermal energy related A) Temperature and ...
- chem - Which statement is wrong? 1. Adding the same amount of heat to two ...
- Science - How does a raw banana relate the second law of thermodynamics to the ...
- science - You know that a collision must be "elastic" if: The momentum of the ...
- college - : Identify the fruit or vegetable you selected and relate the second ...
- science - Explain the relationship of the temperature of a substance during a ...
- science - dentify the fruit or vegetable you selected and relate the second law...