Posted by Crissy XD on Monday, May 2, 2011 at 3:06am.
Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their price rose to 15 cents each. Now he can only afford to buy 10 pens at the same total cost as before. What was the original price of each pen?
There are 41 pigs and chickens on a farm. If there are 100 legs counted altogehter, how many of each animal are there?
One day, 5/6 of the office staff came to work. If three more had been away, this fraction would have decreased to 3/4. How many people are on full staff?
Mrs. Grant was 20 when her eldest child, tess, was born. Carly was born 2 years later and Troy another 4 years later. Now the average of their four ages is 39. How old are Mrs. Grant and her three children?
- Math - Henry, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 7:03pm
2. We have X pigs and Y chickens.
Eq1: X + Y = 41 Pigs and chicken.
Each pig has 4 legs and each chicken has 2 legs:
Eq2: 4X + 2Y = 100 Legs.
Multiply both sides of Eq1 by -2 and
add the 2 Eqs:
-2X - 2Y = - 82,
4X + 2Y = 100,
2X = 18,
X = 9 Pigs.
Substitute 9 for X in Eq1:
9 + y = 41,
Y = 41 - 9 = 32 Chickens.
3. 5X/6 - 3 = 3X/4,
Multiply both sids by 12:
10x - 36 = 9X,
10X - 9X = 36,
X = 36 Staff members.
4. Tess: X Years old.
Mrs. Grant: X+20.
(X + (X+20) + (X-2) + (X-6)) / 4 = 39,
(4X + 12) / 4 = 39,
Multiply both sides by 4:
4X + 12 = 156,
4X = 156 - 12 = 144,
X = 36 = Tess's age.
X+20 = 36+20 = 56 = Mrs. Grant's age.
X-2 = 36-2 = 34 = Carly's age.
X-6 = 36-6 = 30 = Troy's age.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 10th Grade Math - Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their price rose ...
- WORD PROBLEMS W/ EQUATIONS - Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their ...
- Math - In a store, pencils have one price and pens have another. 3 Pencils and 2...
- Math - An office manager bought 16 boxes of pens, each containing z pens. ...
- math - A salesperson bought a caase of pens.On Monday, he sold 1/2 of the pens....
- MATHS - Mrs Koh bought some pens, files and erasers. The ratio of the number of ...
- College Algebra - Pencils cost 20 cents and pens cost 50 cents. Mabel buys x ...
- Math - uh oh if pencils cost 20 cents and pens cost 30 cents each find the cost ...
- MATH - MR CHEN WANTS TO BUY 27 BLUE PENS AND 35 RED PENS. THE PENS ARE SOLD IN ...
- math - jared bought a package of pens containing 20 pens. If 3/4 of the pens had...