Posted by Crissy XD on Monday, May 2, 2011 at 3:06am.
Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their price rose to 15 cents each. Now he can only afford to buy 10 pens at the same total cost as before. What was the original price of each pen?
There are 41 pigs and chickens on a farm. If there are 100 legs counted altogehter, how many of each animal are there?
One day, 5/6 of the office staff came to work. If three more had been away, this fraction would have decreased to 3/4. How many people are on full staff?
Mrs. Grant was 20 when her eldest child, tess, was born. Carly was born 2 years later and Troy another 4 years later. Now the average of their four ages is 39. How old are Mrs. Grant and her three children?
Math - Henry, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 7:03pm
2. We have X pigs and Y chickens.
Eq1: X + Y = 41 Pigs and chicken.
Each pig has 4 legs and each chicken has 2 legs:
Eq2: 4X + 2Y = 100 Legs.
Multiply both sides of Eq1 by -2 and
add the 2 Eqs:
-2X - 2Y = - 82,
4X + 2Y = 100,
2X = 18,
X = 9 Pigs.
Substitute 9 for X in Eq1:
9 + y = 41,
Y = 41 - 9 = 32 Chickens.
3. 5X/6 - 3 = 3X/4,
Multiply both sids by 12:
10x - 36 = 9X,
10X - 9X = 36,
X = 36 Staff members.
4. Tess: X Years old.
Mrs. Grant: X+20.
(X + (X+20) + (X-2) + (X-6)) / 4 = 39,
(4X + 12) / 4 = 39,
Multiply both sides by 4:
4X + 12 = 156,
4X = 156 - 12 = 144,
X = 36 = Tess's age.
X+20 = 36+20 = 56 = Mrs. Grant's age.
X-2 = 36-2 = 34 = Carly's age.
X-6 = 36-6 = 30 = Troy's age.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 10th Grade Math - Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their price rose ...
- WORD PROBLEMS W/ EQUATIONS - Mr. Badger bought 12 pens every month until their ...
- Maths Year 10 Equations - A shopkeeper bought x pens for $21. a) write down an ...
- Algebra - A box contains blue and purple pens. There are 6 less than triple the ...
- Math - In a store, pencils have one price and pens have another. 3 Pencils and 2...
- math - John bought a total of 30 white and brown pens for a total of $32. The ...
- MATHS - Mrs Koh bought some pens, files and erasers. The ratio of the number of ...
- Math - I bought three times as many erasers as pens and spent $155 in total. I ...
- Algebra 2 - A store sells pens and note pads in packages. The price of a package...
- math - With 300 dollars one will have to buy total 30 items. If price of a ...