Posted by kim on Sunday, May 1, 2011 at 11:38pm.
what do they mean? could you please change into a modern language?
If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand(100)
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims¡¯ hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers¡¯ kiss.(105)
Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?
Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do!
They pray; grant thou, lest faith turn to despair
Saints do not move, though grant for prayers¡¯ sake.(110)
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.
Sin from my lips? O trespass sweetly urg'd!
Give me my sin again.
You kiss by th¡¯ book.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, May 2, 2011 at 6:54am
At this website, choose the play, and then the act in that play. In the left column, you'll see original Shakespearean English, and in the right column you'll find a modern English "translation."
Let us know what you discover.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Romeo and Juliet (English Literature) - 1. To what heavenly body does Romeo ...
- English - Please help me with these question about Romeo and Juliet!!! They ...
- romeo and juliet - for my history project, I need to rewrite one scene from ...
- 12 english, romeo and juliet - can someone help me out in anyway possiable, it ...
- Romeo and Juliet - Read the following line from Romeo's monologue in Act II, ...
- Literature - 'Translate the following passages from archaic language used in the...
- English - In Romeo and Juliet, why doesn't Juliet want to marry Paris? A: She is...
- English 9 - . Read the following line from Romeo’s monologue in Act II, Scene 2 ...
- English - i have to write a literary analysis on Romeo and Juliet. This what i ...
- ENGLISH(romeo & Juliet) - What is the plan the nurse brings back from Romeo? is ...