Posted by Misty on Friday, April 29, 2011 at 11:02pm.
Distinguish between properties of the two major types of supernovae: massive star supernovae and white dwarfs.
All supernovae represent the explosions of stars, but current understanding suggests there are two basic types of supernovae: one that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life, and the other that occurs when a white dwarf star explodes because its mass has exceeded the white dwarf limit (also called the Chandrasekhar limit) of 1.4 solar masses.
Match the items below with the correct type of supernova.
1. Star explodes completely, leaving no compact object behind.
2. Can only occur in a galaxy with ongoing star formation.
3. Black hole or neutron star left behind.
4. Can only occur in a binary system.
5. Can occur in a very old star cluster.
6. Spectra always lack strong hydrogen lines.
7. Has a brighter peak luminosity.
What I think...
White dwarf supernova:
Massive star supernovae:
But, I got it wrong. Can someone please help me? I don't know which ones are wrong.
- physics - drwls, Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 1:55am
A "white dwarf supernova" is also called Type I, and a "massive star supernova" is called Type II by astronomers.
Read about the latter at
Description 6 applies to Type I, not Type II.
A agree with your other answers. If that still gets you marked wrong, do more reviewing of the properties of both types.
- physics - Anonymous, Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 9:37pm
2, 3 supermassive
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- gr - Before Dark Energy could be discovered, several preconditions needed to be ...
- astronomy - Before Dark Energy could be discovered, several preconditions needed...
- Science 3 - Which of these is NOT a source of the shock waves that lead to ...
- Astronomy - Which of the following distance measuring techniques works to ...
- Science 1 - Shock waves from supernovae disrupt an interstellar cloud and ...
- Astronomy - Supernovae can eject material at velocities of 0.001c. Will gas ...
- science - Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary ...
- Materials - Chemistry - Distinguish between the two main types of interstitial ...
- Science - 1.Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary ...
- Astronomy - 1.Why can certain stars sometimes be identified as eclipsing binary...