Posted by aria on Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 5:31am.
Problem Two: 5/9 + (2/9)x = 25/7 + (6/7)x – 2/3
Multiply figures inside parentheses
5/9 + (1 x 2/9x) = 25/7 + (1 x 6/7x) – 2/3
Collect like signs
5/9 + 2/9(6/7x) = 25/7 + (-2/3)
Multiply like signs
2 x 6
Reduce like numbers
2 x 2 = 4x
3 7 21x
Multiply number fractions
5 x 25 = 125
9 7 63
Add – 2 = 123
All I can figure out is
4/21x = 123/60
I know this is wrong but I am stumped.
Can someone explain this in a simple way? I have never done a problem like this before and can't find anything in the text book to help.
- algebra - Dr Russ, Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 5:45am
5/9 + (2/9)x = 25/7 + (6/7)x – 2/3
I would multiply through by 9 first, then by 7 to remove the fractions
9(5/9 + (2/9)x) = 9(25/7 + (6/7)x – 2/3)
5 + 2x = 25.9/7 + (6.9/7)x – 6
7(5 + 2x) = 7(25.9/7 + (6.9/7)x – 6)
now group like terms
but check the maths
- algebra - aria, Thursday, April 28, 2011 at 6:08am
I was wondering about that approach because of the like denominators although they weren't like terms.
Your method makes sense. I will go through your steps for myself and see if I can get the same answer. It may be a good idea for me to make up a similar problem and submit it to see if it is right. Unfortunately, I have no reference and will be graded on the steps taken and the answer. It is not a test, just an assignment with two complex problems that cover many concepts.
Thank you. I will tell the teacher I got help with the problem, although the teachers know we do as there are tutors on other sites we are allowed to access.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math Uugghhh - Okay the problem says I have to multiply (-2t)^2(3t^7)^2 SO what ...
- Algebra - Could someone please help me find x in this problem and explain how ...
- Math Please Help me!!! - 3x^2+17x+10 *You have to factor completley but I don't ...
- math,help - okay Directions: find the following squares. Problem: ((w)-(1)/(4))^...
- algebra - Can someone help me with this problem please? rationalize the ...
- math,algebra,help - Okay now i need explanation how to do these types of ...
- math - What does it mean to have two matrix variables written vertically inside ...
- Algebra - Multiply(x-2)(x+2) I am totally lost! just foil it out take the first ...
- Algebra - can you show me the steps for this problem (2x)to the 4th power (...
- Math - Can someone please help me with an algebra problem? -|4-8b|=12 I really ...