Posted by needhelp on Monday, April 25, 2011 at 6:56pm.
i have an assignment that i have to email back my friend on identifying minerals. simple enough
the trouble is how do i write this assignment in "EMAIL FORM"
could you helped me please very please...i already finished my assignment now i just have to turn the write up in the form of an email
The properties used to identify minerals are:
• Crystal Form: The shape that the crystal faces (flat sides).
• Cleavage: The number of directions a mineral break.
• Hardness: Use Moh’s hardness scale numbered 1-10. Diamond is 10 (hardest) and Talc is 1 (softest). Use iron, glass, copper, and fingernail.
• Luster: How the surface of a mineral reflects light. Vitreous? Waxy? Pearly? Earthy? Metallic? Greasy?
• Streak: The color of the mineral in powdered form. Rub mineral on a piece of white porcelain and determine its color.
• Color: Most minerals have a distinctive color that can be used for identification (NOT very reliable).
• Specific Gravity: The density of the mineral compared to the density of water.
• Magnetism: Is it magnetic?
• Reaction with HCl: Does it fizzes when HCl comes in contact?
How to tell the difference between:
Calcite and Halite
The main difference between calcite and halite is that calcite reacts with acid and halite doesn’t. Another difference is their hardness. Calcite is 3 and Halite is 2.5.
Pyroxene and Amphibole
It’s difficult to tell whether it is pyroxene or amphibole because their properties are very much similar. The differences between pyroxene and amphibole are their crystal form and cleavage. Pyroxene has stubby crystals and amphibole has long crystals. Pyroxene has 2 excellent cleavages at 90 ° and amphibole has 2 excellent at 56 °.
Biotite and Muscovite
The major difference between biotite and muscovite is their color. Biotite is black or brown-black and muscovite is white or yellow. Also their streaks are different as well. Biotite has a grey or brown streak and muscovite has a white streak.
Bornite and Fluorite
There are any differences between bornite and fluorite. Bornite streak is grey-black and fluorite is white. Bornite is metallic and fluorite is vitreous. Bornite has dense brittle masses and fluorite has cubic crystals and fluorescent. Bornite has no cleavage and fluorite has 4 excellent cleavages. Bornite is denser than fluorite.
Gold and Pyrite
Gold has a yellow streak and Pyrite has a greenish black streak. Gold has flakes, grains, and is malleable while pyrite has cubic crystals. Gold hardness is 2.5-3.0 and pyrite is 6.0-6.5. Gold density is 19 and pyrite is 5.0. Gold is about 4 times denser than pyrite.
Galena and Sphalerite
Galena color is lead-grey and sphalerite is brown to yellow. Galena has a grey-black streak and sphalerite has a brown to yellow streak. Galena crystal form is cubes or massive and sphalerite has tetrahedral crystals. Galena has 3 perfect cleavages and sphalerite has 6 perfect. Galena hardness is 2.5 and sphalerite is 3.5-4.0. Galena density is 7.6 and sphalerite is 4.0.
Malachite and Olivine
Malachite has a pale green streak and olivine has a white or grey streak. Malachite luster is earthy and olivine is vitreous. Malachite reacts to acid and olivine does not. Malachite hardness is 3.5-4.0 and olivine hardness is 6.5. Malachite density is 3.6-4.0 and olivine density is 3.3.
please help and thank you i really appreciate it
- geology - MathMate, Monday, April 25, 2011 at 7:38pm
Calcite and Halite:
The cleavage is a very good differentiating property:
calcite has angles of 74 and 55° (very characteristic); while that of salt is perfectly cubic.
Bornite and Fluorite:
"There are many differences..."
"Bornite (S.G.=5) is denser than fluorite (S.G.=3) "
Research is well done and complete!
To write it in e-mail form is nothing more than writing a paragraph at the beginning to summarize what you are sending to him, and have a signature at then end, very similar to what we do when we write a letter, perhaps a little less formal.
If you need more details or have questions about e-mail form, you can post a different question with "English Writing" as the school subject. English tutors will help you.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- geology (very urgent) - i have an assignment that i have to email back my friend...
- Geometry - Hi, so i reallllyy need help, i have an assignment that i have to ...
- English Writing - i have an assignment that i have to email back my friend on ...
- spanish sra jmcgin - hi i have a spanish essay draft to write can I scan and ...
- computer class - how do i delete an email from another computer? see i got an ...
- math - DO you have to type all of the information in when submitting the work to...
- check please - hi ms. sue i was wondering if you had email that i can have to ...
- english - I need you to grade my paper for me . I dont have a car and I don't ...
- English - Yes, you are right. Thank you very much for giving me advice, too! By ...
- English - Could you please check these sentences I need to include in an email? ...