Posted by Syed on Monday, April 25, 2011 at 5:43am.
A 0.20-kg mass is hung from a vertical spring of force constant 55 N/m. When the
spring is released from its unstretched equilibrium position, the mass is allowed to
fall. Use the law of conservation of energy to determine
(a) the speed of the mass after it falls 1.5 cm
(b) the distance the mass will fall before reversing direction
physics - drwls, Monday, April 25, 2011 at 7:39am
The weight is
F = M g = 1.96 N
The equilibrium deflection is
Xe = F/k = 3.56*10^-2 m = 3.56 cm.
It will fall to twice that deflection.
Spring and gravitational potential energy, and kinetic energy, are zero when it is initially dropped
(a) The initial total energy, relative to the initial position, is zero.
After falling x = 0.015 m,
GravPE + SpringPE + KE = 0
-M g x + (1/2)kx^2 + (M/2) V^2 = 0
Solve for V.
(b) For max deflection, compute the other location where KE = 0
(1/2)kX^2 = M g X
X = 2 Mg/k, twice the equilibrium deflection
physics - Massy, Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 7:35pm
Intial/final speed is zero, and having a ref point from the bottom, hf is zero and xi will be zero since in the beging the spring is at equiibrim. Finally ur hi=xf, since the strech will be the distaince traveled.
From this info and the equation we can get:
mghi+0.5(k)(xi)^2 = mghf+0.5(k)(xf)^2
sub in values to get
0.071 meters= hi
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A spring stretches 0.150 m when a 0.30 kg mass is hung from it. The ...
- College Physics PLEASE HELP - A spring stretches 0.150 m when a 0.30 kg mass is ...
- Physics Problem - A 3.00-kg mass is fastened to a light spring that passes over ...
- physics - A mass of 2 kg is hung from the lower end of a vertical spring and ...
- Physics - One end of a spring is attached to the ceiling. The unstretched length...
- mechanics: simple harmonic oscillation - Consider an ideal spring that has an ...
- Physics - This assignment is about energy. But one of the new things we’ve just ...
- 1Physics - One end of a spring is attached to the ceiling. The unstretched ...
- physics - A 0.40 kg mass is attached to a spring with force constant 26 N/m and ...
- Physics - A spring is hung from a ceiling, and an object attached to its lower ...