Posted by Phillip on Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 5:50pm.
A 32.5g cube of aluminum initially at 45.8 C is submerged into 105.3g water at 15.4 C. What is the final temp of both substances at thermal equilibrium. Assume the al and the H2O are thermally isolated from everything else)
Specific heat cap Al= .903
Specific heat cap H2O= 4.18
I understand this problem but In my math i get to:
(DeltaT) Al = -14.998 X (DeltaT) H2O
And im lost. Anyone able to explain the completion of the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 6:15pm
You need to use Tfinal-Tinitial for delta T.
heat lost by Al + heat gained by water=0
[mass Al x specific heat Al x (Tfinal-Tinitial)] + [mass H2O x specific heat H2O x (Tfinal-Tinitial)] = 0
Substitute and solve for Tf.
- Chemistry - Phillip, Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 6:23pm
I'm having trouble once i get to
T(final)=-14.998 X T(final) + 14.998 X T(initial h2o) + T(initial Al)
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 6:45pm
Yes. I think it is tough to try to manipulate the algebra. It is much easier to substitute the numbers first and manipulate them.
[32.5 x 0.903 x (Tf-45.8)]+[105.3 x 4.18 x (Tf-15.4)] = 0
29.35Tf - 1344.1 + 440.15Tf - 6778.4 = 0
Check those numbers to make sure I didn't make an error on my calculator, then solve for Tf.
- Chemistry - Phillip, Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 7:05pm
Thank you so much DrBob!
I ended up with
469.5Tf = 8122.54
Tf = 17.3
Answer this Question
- Chemistry - Will someone show me the formula or help me through working this ...
- chem - A 25.0 g aluminum block is warmed to 65.2 C and plunged into an insulated...
- physic - What mass of water at 22.0 °C must be allowed to come to thermal ...
- physic - Hi! Help me please, thank you so much. What mass of water at 28.0 °C ...
- Chemistry - a 15.7 g aluminum block is warmed to 53.2 degrees celsius and ...
- Chemistry - A 35.0-g iron rod, initially at 25.6°C, is submerged into an unknown...
- chemistry - A 32.2 g iron rod, initially at 22.3 C, is submerged into an unknown...
- chemistry - A silver block, initially at 59.4∘C^\circ C, is submerged into...
- chemistry - A 115 g piece of metal, initially at 60.0 °C, is submerged into 100....
- Physics - a): Two 50 g ice cubes are dropped into 200 g of water in a thermally...