Posted by Russ on Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 8:25pm.
Bob Pursley rechecked my question and it was correct if you scan down but he didn't direct me where to find direction of magnetic force on plane and do the pilots have to make corrections to make up for the difference? I'd appreciate any help with that, if possible
If a aircraft flie at 1000m/s east it accumulates a 50C of charge as it passes a cloud. How would I calculate magnitude of magnetic force, direction of magnetic force on plane and do the pilots have to make corrections to make up for the difference?
Thanks in advance for any help
Physics-I forgot the magnetic field calc - Russ, Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 5:45pm
I forgot that the earth's magnetic field is 50 micro Tesla
Physics-Check what I have, please - Russ, Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 5:52pm
I think the formula is F = q(v*B)
so therefore I would say F= 50 C(1000*50T), correct or not??
I'm still not sure about the direction or if they have to make correctins to their controls
Physics - bobpursley, Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 7:05pm
You have it, correct, except for units> what happened to the micro on microTesla?
Physics-bobpursley please recheck - Russ, Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 7:43pm
Thank you for pointing that out-I totally forgot to put it back in
Could you direct me for the direction and if corrections have to be made by pilots-I'm not sure how to figure that out
- Physics-Someone please recheck - drwls, Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 2:28am
The direction of the force depends upon the direction of the magnetic field, which might be neither vertical nor horizontal, but something in between. The largest it can be is
F = q V B = 50*1000*50*10^-6 = 2.5 N
If the were flying along a magnetic field line, there would be no force.
2.5 N is not enough force to require a correction. It is about the weight of a can of soda. Other forces acting on a jumbo jet plane are nearly a million times more.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - If a aircraft flie at 1000m/s east it accumulates a 50C of charge as ...
- AlgebrAlgebra-Mathmate or BobPursley or Reiny - I had asked a question earlier ...
- Physics - What force would you have to exert on a 326-N trunk up a 19.0° ...
- Physics - Question: Calculate the direction of Earth's magnetic field. 3 ...
- PHYSICS PLEASE HELP!!! - Please someone have mercy this is a test grade and I ...
- PHYSICS - A closed loop carrying a current I lies in the xy plane. A uniform ...
- physics question - I have a question about a problem regarding Newton's third ...
- Physics - I don't know if my other post went through or not, so I'm reposting it...
- physics (Right Hand Rule Question) - A proton traveling due east in a region ...
- Physics-Just a clarification - I have a question? What does hf = hi+Vivertical ...