Posted by Mike1 on Sunday, April 17, 2011 at 7:16am.
I really have the following doubts. Can you see if my corrections are OK? Thank you.
1) He is expected by his friends (is wrong?) to be discharged today.
I wish I hadn't got (Is this possible?) two tests tomorrow.
2) Do you always make breakfast by yourself/yourself? (without the help of his parents)
3) Would you mind if I stopped working ten minutes earlier (not before)
My sandwich has been eaten by someone. (should "someone", "people" be omitted in the passive sentence?)
4) My dog was only six months (is "old" necessary?)
I can't do all the things (is "all the things" correct, all the housework, everyhing) myself.
5) I wish he hadn't to work at the weekend. (Correction: he didn't have to work)
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, April 17, 2011 at 7:47am
1. A better way to phrase this is to use active voice, not passive:
His friends expect him to be discharged today.
"I hadn't got" is an awkward phrasing. You can make the sentence better this way:
I wish I didn't have two tests tomorrow.
2. "by yourself" or "youself" -- either one works fine.
3. This sentence needs to be completed. When you use a comparative adjective or adverb without completing the thought (earlier than what?), your listener or reader will be waiting for the rest of the sentence!
Would you mind if I stop working ten minutes before closing?
Would you mind if I stop working ten minutes earlier than you do?
Would you mind if I stop working at ten minutes before 5:00 pm?
In the passive sentence, you can keep the "by __" or leave it out. From sentence to sentence, you'd need to decide if that information is needed or not.
My sandwich has been eaten!
My sandwich has been eaten by someone.
My sandwich has been eaten by a thief.
4. Yes, when you're talking about age, you'll need to indicate it somehow.
My dog was only six months old.
My dog was only six month of age. [stilted language, not often used in casual speech]
Yes, "all the things" is fine.
I can't do all the things myself.
I can't do all the housework myself.
I can't do all the yard work myself.
I can't do everything myself.
5. Your correction is correct.
I wish he didn't have to work.
Answer this Question
- English - I still have a few doubts on yesterday's sentences, especially on ...
- English - I still have a few doubts on the use of "earlier". I included other ...
- English - Can you please check these sentences? Thank you very much. 1) Write an...
- Poem - I also wrote this poem and this is deticated to my life. Does it sound ...
- English - I have a few doubts regarding the use of the present perfect. I really...
- English - I can't send you my post. I hope this time I can. 1) Rewrite the ...
- English - Thank you very much. Here are a few sentences I urgently need you to ...
- Writing - My corrections (please check grammar...etc): As I reflected back I ...
- English - I forgot to include the following sentences. They are really urgent. 1...
- english - What is wrong with these sentences then? I have been reading and ...