Posted by cr on Friday, April 15, 2011 at 12:24pm.
A heavy conductor (mass m, length `, resistance R) is suspended by two springs each with spring constant k, and connected to a battery with electric potential V as shown in
the figure. A magnetic field ~B is now imposed. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Which direction should the magnetic field point to have the most effect in raising the heavy conductor?
1. Out of the page
2. Into the page
3. Vertically downward in the plane of the page
4. The direction of the magnetic field is irrelevant.
5. To the left in parallel to the the conductor
6. Vertically upward in the plane of the page
7. In the plane of the page at a 45 degree angle to the conductor
8. To the right in parallel to the conductor
The key is the direction of the current, and the direction of B in relation to the conductor.
Still not sure here is the sketch...
---------- + - -------
| V |
Spring K Spring K
Heavy Conductor R
Hope this helps! Please help.
I selected #1 AND IT WAS INCORRECT. I guess I just don't understand...
- Physics -work shown - bobpursley, Friday, April 15, 2011 at 12:53pm
If I understand your diagram, current goes to the right on the bottom, I use my right hand, and see then below the wire B from current going inward to the page. To raise the conductor, B has to go into the page also.
- Physics -work shown - cr, Friday, April 15, 2011 at 1:15pm
Thank you so much! I am struggling through this class. The professor is so intellegent that he doesn't bring it down to the basics for understanding.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physic ~ pls help - A heavy conductor (mass m, length `, resistance R) is ...
- Physics - pls help - A heavy conductor (mass m, length `, resistance R) is ...
- Physics - Two massless springs (S1 and S2) are arranged such that one hangs ...
- physics - A light spring with a spring constant of 15.2 N/m rests vertically on ...
- physics - Three resistors are connected to a 20 V battery as shown. The internal...
- Physics - A body of mass m is suspended from a spring with spring constant k and...
- Physics - A block of mass m1 = 22.0 kg is connected to a block of mass m2 = 40.0...
- Physics - The length of a spring increases by 7.2 cm from its relaxed length ...
- Physics - Two springs, each with spring constant 20 N/m, are connected in ...
- physics - Consider a battery that has Vt = 12.0 V when it is not connected to a ...