Posted by Margret on Friday, April 15, 2011 at 10:07am.
what is x if the problem is: (x+2)(x+4)=30+x
- Algerbra - Jai, Friday, April 15, 2011 at 10:17am
(x+2)(x+4) = 30 + x
first we expand the left side of the equation,, multiplying them,
x^2 + 2x + 4x + 8 = 30 + x
then we combine similar terms and make the right side of equation equal to zero (since it's quadratic equation) :
x^2 + 6x + 8 - 30 - x = 0
x^2 + 5x - 22 = 0
now, since it's not factorable, we use quadratic formula
x = [-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)]/(2a)
note: +- is plus or minus
x = [-5 +- sqrt(5^2 - 4(1)(-22))]/(2*1)
x = [-5 +- sqrt(25 +88)]/2
x = [-5 +- sqrt(113)]/2
separating this into plus and minus:
x = [-5 + sqrt(113)]/2 ; and
x = [-5 - sqrt(113)]/2
hope this helps~ :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- 9th grade (Algerbra) - Why did Grok jump up and down the first time he saw a ...
- Math Pre Algerbra - Need help with Algerbra question two-thirds of a number e 2/...
- algerbra - the problem was misunderstood 1/4 = 3- (2x-1 divided by x+2)
- math algerbra 1 - how do you solve for the function in a problem like 4x+y=-10?
- Algerbra - Divide (x^6-13x^3+42)/(x^3-7) Please show me how to work the problem
- Algerbra 2 - Simplify and show the steps to the problem 4(14x-10y) - 6( y + 4x)
- Algerbra Fixed - A teacher did this problem with us in class but I dontn get it ...
- Algerbra - 5 to the 2nd power-2(5)(4)+-4to the secondpower = I got 25-40+16=59 ...
- ELEMENTARY AND INTERMEDIATE ALGERBRA - x=0 and y=4 in the second problem X+y=13 ...
- algerbra - the problem is x+6-2x+9, how would i go about solving it a simpiler ...