Posted by tim on Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:27pm.
The average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the ground surface in a certain region is 51.6 mW/m2, and the average thermal conductivity of the near-surface rocks is 3.31 W/m·K. Assuming a surface temperature of 11.7°C, find the temperature (in Celsius) at a depth of 35.0 km (near the base of the crust). Ignore the heat generated by the presence of radioactive elements.
- physics - Jai, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:51pm
recall that for an energy transfer,
q = -kA * dT / dx
q = rate of heat tranfer (in Watts)
k = thermal conductivity (in W/m-K)
dT = differential change in Temperature (in Celsius or in Kelvin)
dx = differential change in position (x-direction)
*note: this is negative since (T2-T1) is always negative, for heat always flows from higher temp to lower temp.
assuming heat transfer is at steady state (does not change with time), this formula simplifies to
q = -kA (T2-T1)/(x2-x1) ; or
q/A = -k*(T2 - T2)/(x2 - x1)
T1 = heat source temp (at this problem it's the crust)
T2 = lower temp (at this problem, it's the surface)
first we convert 51.6 mW/m^2 into W by multiplying by 10^-3
51.6 * 10^(-3) = -3.31*( 11.7 - T1 )/(35)
0.0516*35/(-3.31) = 11.7 - T1
-0.546 = 11.7 - T1
-12.246 = -T1
T1 = 12.246 deg C
hope this helps~ :)
- physics - Jai, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 9:19pm
oops, scrap my first answer,, i forgot to convert 35 km to meters:
35 km = 35000 m
51.6 * 10^(-3) = -3.31*( 11.7 - T1 )/(35000)
0.0516*35000/(-3.31) = 11.7 - T1
-545.62 = 11.7 - T1
-557.32 = -T1
T1 = 557.32 deg C
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- HELP Physics - The average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the...
- physics - The average rate at which energy is conducted outward through the ...
- physics - We confirm the concept of the geothermal effect in an alternative ...
- Physics - The amount of heat per second conducted from the blood capillaries ...
- physics - A down jacket has a surface area of 0.82 m2 and is filled with a 3.8 ...
- physics - A window has a glass surface of 2686 cm2 and a thickness of 7.4 mm. ...
- calculus - Some scientists believe that the average surface temperature of the ...
- Physics - The temperature in an electric oven is 165°C. The temperature at the ...
- physics - The block in the drawing has dimensions L0×2L0×3L0,where L0 =0.5 m. ...
- Physics - The temperature in an electric oven is 160°C. The temperature at the ...