Posted by Akash on Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 1:03pm.
Can anybody tell me step wise step how to solve this quadratic equation?
Please tell me step wise step as i haven't solved such type of equations before.
- Quadratic Equations - MathMate, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 1:27pm
Even you subject is "Quadratic Equations", the problem you submitted is a cubic equation, and there appears to be no typo.
We will solve the cubic as it is posted.
We note that the coefficients add up to zero if we reverse the sign of x^3, i.e. (-1)-3+4=0
This indicates that x=-1 is a zero.
Use long polynomial division to reduce the equation to:
which is a quadratic equation.
We can solve by factorization:
x²-4x+4 = 0
Therefore x=-1 or x=2(multiplicity=2), i.e. x=-1, x=2 or x=2.
- Quadratic Equations - Akash, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 2:04pm
any other easy method
- Quadratic Equations - MathMate, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 2:23pm
I do not see an easier method except factoring trial and error. For this particular problem, you will probably get the answers by trial factoring quite easily.
Remember that this is a cubic equation, which actually has a solution formula more complicated than the above.
There is also the Newton-Ralphson approximation method by iterations.
The above methods (factoring, long division, quadratic equation) do not introduce any algebraic operation that is beyond secondary school level.
- Quadratic Equations - find two consecutive odd integers with a sum of 16. solve n +( n+, Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 7:59am
N+ ( n+2)=16
Answer this Question
- Algebra - Please help me to solve these two equations step by step. They are ...
- Math - Stupid question time. I need to figure out how to rearrange equations to ...
- algebra 1 - ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA #3 Page 23 Chapter 3 Lesson 3.02 Solving Multi-...
- Algebra 2 - I need to know how to solve quadratic equations by factoring. Can ...
- Math - I am really have a tough time trying to solve this problem. I think my ...
- math - My problem I have involves a method that requires using the quadratic ...
- Simple Maths - Suppose student gets 30 marks out of 70 so how much will he get ...
- ALGEBRA HELP - When solving the equation, what property was used to go from step...
- Algebra help - f(x)=x^3-4x^2-x+4 How do I find the x-intercept for this? This is...
- Algebra1 - I am solving for linear equations and I'm wondering if I did Step 3 ...