Posted by fakaapo on Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 8:09am.
For the given linear prgramming problem, write down the objective function and the constraints.
Kris is trying to make his business more efficient by having a system of both large and small vans. He can spend no more than $100,000 for both type of vans and no more than $600 per month for maintenance. Kris can purchase a small van for $15,000 and maintain it for $100 per month. He can purchase a large van for $25,000 and maintain it for $70 per month. Each large van carries 14 passengers, and each small van carries 7 passengers. Kris is interested in knowing how many of each van he should purchase so that he can serve the maximum number of passengers.
- math - MathMate, Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 10:18am
"large and small vans."
L=# of large, L≥0
S=# of small, S≥0
"He can spend no more than $100,000 for both type of vans"
"Kris can purchase a small van for $15,000 and maintain it for $100 per month...a large van for $25,000 and maintain it for $70 per month"
"no more than $600 per month for maintenance"
"large van carries 14 passengers, and each small van carries 7 passengers"
So the above are the constraints and the objective function.
The formulation of the constraints and objective functions is a good exercise, especially when the parameters can change with time.
However, there are times that you don't need a screwdriver to do repairs. Same with linear programming:
Capacity of large van = 2*capacity of small
Cost of large van < 2*cost of small
cost of maintaining large van < 2*cost of maintaining small van
Number of large vans he can buy with budget=100000/25000 = exactly 4 (for 56 passengers)
cost of monthly maintenance = 4*70=280 < 600
So what would be your choice even without the screwdriver?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - An objective function and a system of linear inequalities representing ...
- Objective functon - An objective function and a system of linear inequalities ...
- math - Write down the objective function and the constraints for the given ...
- acc math 2 high school - I need help finding constraints to put this on the ...
- algebra 2 - Graph the system of constraints and find the value of x and y that ...
- PLEASE HELP... ALGEBRA.... LINEAR PROGRAMMING - HELP ME WITH THESE 2 PROBLEMS ...
- algebra - Find the minimum and maximum values of the objective function subject...
- Math/Management - MeanBeats is a company that manufactures and sells electronic ...
- Math - Your computer-supply store sells two types of inkjet printers. The first...
- Math - Please explain in detail how to solve the following problem using ...