Posted by rfvv on Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 9:51pm.
He asked me a question.
He asked a question of me.
He begged me a question.
He begged a question of me.
He inquired me a question.
He inquired me of a question.
(Are the pairs all correct and interchangable? Doe they have the same meaning?)
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 9:54pm
The first pair is correct and interchangeable, but the others aren't.
The 3rd sentence is not correct.
The 5th and 6th are not correct. For this, you'd need to say, "He inquired about .... " (The "me" part wouldn't be there.)
- English - rfvv, Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 10:08pm
3. He begged me a question.
4. He begged a question of me.
5. He inquired me a question.
6. He inquired a question of me.
(Thank you for your help. #6 should be changed. Among the four sentences, which ones are not grammatical? Is #6 correct?)
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, April 10, 2011 at 10:38pm
Among these four sentences, only #4 is correct. The word "inquire" is not used with an indirect object or "to" and an object.
He inquired about my illness.
He inquired about their children.
He inquired about the train fare from Washington to New York.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1. He begged me a help. 2. He begged a help of me. 3. He inquired me a...
- English - 1. He begged me a book. 2. He begged a book of me. 3. He inquired me a...
- English - 1. He inquired of me a question. = He inquired of a question of me. (...
- Theology 10 - HELP! - Do you think miracles happen today? Why? I have to asked ...
- ethics - Would I talk about what I am expected to do in a Amish family as well ...
- English - Question 1- Neither the fracture nor the lacerations __________ ...
- Math - Need help with one more question. Which best describes a statistical ...
- Math 30 - A popular game show begins with the host reading a question to the ...
- physics question - If you are asked to calculate the accleration due to gravity...
- English - I m doing an analysis question on a poem called Question by May ...