Posted by tammy on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 6:31pm.
From an 8 inch by 10 inch rectangular sheet of paper, squares of equal size will be cut from each corner. The flaps will then be folded up to form an open-topped box. Find the maximum possible volume of the box.
Math - Damon, Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 7:37pm
x is size of side of square cut out
then height of box x
length = (10-2x)
V = x (10-2x)(8-2x)
V = x(80 - 36x + 4x^2)
V = 80 x - 36 x^2 + 4 x^3
dV/dx = 80 -72 x + 12 x^2
dV/dx = 0 for max or min
3x^2 - 18x + 20 = 0
(3x-5)(x-4) = 0
x = 5/3 or x = 4
x = 4 gives zero volume
so I suspect x = 5/3
Math - Smile, Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 10:38pm
Damon's answer is almost right, but you have to use the quadratic equation x is 5.055... and 1.472... so basically 1.472. The volume is then about 13.583in^3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - From a 10-inch-by-19-inch piece of cardboard, 3-inch-square corners are ...
- math - An open box is made from a rectangular piece of cardboard measuring 16 cm...
- Math - A Candy box is made from a piece of cardboard that meaasures 11 by 7 ...
- precalculus - A square of size x inches is cut out of each corner of an 8in by ...
- Pre-calculus - A square of size x inches is cut out of each corner of an 8in by ...
- math - open top rectangular box made from 35 x 35 inch piece of sheet metal by ...
- College Math - An open-topped rectangular box is to be constructed from a 24 ...
- algebra - Open-top box. Thomas is going to make an open-top box by cutting equal...
- Calculus - A carpenter wants to make an open-topped box out of a rectangular ...
- math - mr. m has an 8 inch by 11 inch sheet of paper. He created a box by ...