Posted by Faith on Friday, April 8, 2011 at 6:37pm.
in a class the ratio of boys to girls is 3:2, if there are 11 more boys than girls, how many children are in the class
Maths - Jai, Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 12:42am
first we represent unknowns using variables,,
let x = number of boys
let y = number of girls
according to first statement, ratio of boys to girls is 3:2 or 3/2 . thus we can write,
x/y = 3/2 or
x = (3/2)*y
according to second statement, there are 11 more boys than girls, thus,
x = y + 11
substituting the relationship we ot earlier - the x = (3/2)*y - to this :
(3/2)*y = y + 11
1.5y = y + 11
1.5y - y = 11
0.5y = 11
y = 22 girls
substituting this to x = (3/2)*y
x = 1.5*22
x = 33 boys
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - There are 40 pupils in a class. There are 10 more boys than girls. When ...
- mathematics - there are 5 more girls than boys in a class. if 2 boys join the ...
- Mathematics - There are 5 girls more than boys in a class. if 2 boys joined the ...
- Math - Mrs.Smith's class has 12 girls and 8 boys. What percent of he class are ...
- maths - in a class both boys and girls ratio is 4:5.. if boys percentage is 25% ...
- Maths - 1)There 40 pupils in a class. There is chart so i counted the number of ...
- Math - The number of girls and boys in a class are in the ratio 7: 5 and there ...
- Math - can you please help me work on this problem? I have a few and I want to ...
- Math 156 - The ratio of girls to boys in Mr. Maddox's class of 20 students is 3:...
- math - The ratio of boys to girls in a class room was 9:8. Half of the girls ...