Posted by Melisa on Friday, April 8, 2011 at 12:56am.
With the given model: h=-0.045d^2+2d
where h is the height of the ball from the ground(in yards) and d is the horizontal distance of the ball(in yards) from its starting point.
A.)Pat is standing on the 17-yard line when the football passes over his head. How high up is the football at this point?
B.)The football is 8 yards above the ground when it passes over Billy. At what yard line is Billy standing when the football passes over his head?
- MATH URGENT!!!! - Jai, Friday, April 8, 2011 at 1:42am
for (a), we substitute 17 to d in the equation for the height,h:
h = -0.045d^2 + 2d
h = -0.045*(17^2) + 2(17)
h = 20.995 yards
for (b), we are given the height and we need to find the horizontal distance. substituting,
h = -0.045d^2 + 2d
8 = -0.045d^2 + 2d
0 = -0.045d^2 + 2d - 8
note that this is a quadratic equation and we can either factor it or use quadratic formula to solve for d,, here, let's just use quadratic formula:
d = [-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)]/(2a)
d = [-2 +- sqrt(2^2 - 4(-0.045)(-8))]/(2(-0.045))
d = [-2 +- sqrt(2.56)]/(-0.09)
d = [-2 +- 1.6]/(-0.09)
d = 40 yards
d = 4.44 yards
note that there are two answers. for the 4.44 yards, the ball is going up, while for the 40 yards, the ball is already going down.
hope this helps~ :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - A soccer ball is kicked from the ground. After travelling a horizontal ...
- Math - Football Lesson 5.1 1. y= -0.035x^2 + 1.4x + 1, where x is the distance (...
- calculus - I need help with this problem: The path traveled by a golf ball with ...
- Physics urgent pls! - A ball is tossed from an upper-storey window of a building...
- math - A golf ball is to be hit 300 yards straight to make a hole in one. Having...
- math - a football player attempts a field goal from a distance of 52 yards. The...
- algebra - I am confused about this one. It is about football. "In a football ...
- physics - ) A batter hits a baseball so that it leaves the bat at speed Vo = 37....
- physics - A golfer wants to drive a ball a distance of 310 yards. ...
- Math - Hi, how would we solve a problem like this? The path of the ball for many...