Posted by lily on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 11:52pm.
Madison is standing on the roof of a building that is 350 feet above the floor. She throws a ball straight up with a velocity of 20 feet per second. How long will the ball be in the air before it hits the ground?
MATH URGENT! - Jai, Friday, April 8, 2011 at 12:14am
first we observe that the motion of the ball is uniformly accelerated motion (because of acceleration due to gravity while it's in the air), thus we use this formula to find time:
h = ho + vo*t - (1/2)*g*t^2
ho = initial height
vo = initial velocity
t = time
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 = 32 ft/s^2)
making the ground as the reference or the origin (thus at this point, the height = h = 0), ho is thus equal to 350
0 = 350 + 20*t - 1/2*32*t^2
0 = 350 + 20t - 16t^2
since it's a quadratic equation, we either factor it or use quadratic formula,
t = [-b +- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)]/(2a)
t = [-20 +- sqrt(20^2 - 4(-16)(350))]/(2(-16))
t = [-20 +- 150.997]/(-32)
t = -4.09
t = 5.34
since time is always positive, we get the positive root:
t = 5.34 s
hope this helps~ :)
MATH URGENT! - MattsRiceBowl, Friday, April 8, 2011 at 12:14am
It depends on many factors not said in the problem. How high does the ball go before it starts coming down, for example.
The problem is not solvable.
MATH URGENT! - MattsRiceBowl, Friday, April 8, 2011 at 12:15am
Ok. Someone else was smarter than I. I should have waited, I guess.
MATH URGENT! - lily, Friday, April 8, 2011 at 12:42am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math urgent! - Tyler is on the 15th floor of a building. She throws a ball ...
- math - Katie is on the 15th floor of a building. She throws a ball straight down...
- Math - Gravity on the moon is about one-sixth of gravity on Earth. An astronaut ...
- math - a ball is dropped 128 feet from the roof of a building with each bounce ...
- math - from 4 feet above a swimming pool, susan throws a ball upward witha ...
- Algebra 2 - a person throws a baseball into the air with an initial vertical ...
- algebra (parabolas) - you throw a wad of used paper towards a wastebasket from a...
- Pre Calc - Alice throws a ball straight up with an initial speed of 40 feet per ...
- Pre calc - Alice throws a ball straight up with an initial speed of 40 feet per ...
- Pre-Algebra - A ball is thrown straight up at 46 feet per second from about 6 ...