Posted by Angel on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 4:39pm.
i never can do word problems....please help... i got 7 of them.....these are word for word
Larry is 8 yrs older than his sister.In 3 yrs, hr will be twice as old as she will be then.how old is each now?
Jennifer is 6 yrs older than Sue. in 4 yrs, she will be twice as old as Sue was 5 yrs ago. Find their ages now.
Adam is 5 yrs younger than Eve. In 1 yr, Eve will be three times as old as Adam was 4 yrs ago. Find their ages now.
4)jack is twice as old as Jill. In 2 yrs, Jack will be 4 times as old as Jill was ( uears ago. How old are they now?
four yrs ago, Katie was twice as old as Anne was then. In 6 yrs, Anne will be the same age that Katie is now How old is each now?
five yrs ago, Tom was one third as old as his father was then. In 5 yrs Tom will be half as old as his father will be then. Find their ages now.
Barry is 8 yrs older than sue. In 4 yrs, she will be twice as old as Sue was 5 yrs ago. find their ages now.
- math - Henry, Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 1:08am
1. Larry's sister = X yrs old.
Larry = (X+8)yrs old.
In 3 yrs:
Larry = X+11.
Sister = X+3.
X+11 = 2(X+3),
X+11 = 2X+6,
X-2X = 6-11,
-X = -5,
X = 5yrs = sister's age.
X+8 = 5+8 = 13YRS = Larry's age.
2. Sue = X yrs old.
Jennifer = (x+6) yrs old.
X+10 = 2(X-5),
X+10 = 2X-10,
X-2X = -10-10,
-X = -20,
X = 20 yrs = Sue's age.
x+6 = 20+6 = 26 yrs = Jennifer's age.
3. Eve = X yrs old.
Adam = (X-5) yrs old.
X+1 = 3(X-5-4). Solve for X.
4. Jill = X yrs old.
Jack = 2x yrs old.
4(x-7) = 2x+2. Solve for x.
5. 4 yrs ago: Anne = x yrs old; Katie = 2x yrs old.
NOW: Anne=(x+4)yrs old; Katie = (2x+4)
x+10 = 2x+4.
x-2x = 4-10,
-x = -6,
x = 6.
x+4 = 6+4 = 10yrs = Anne's age.
2x+4 = 2*6 + 4 = 16 yrs = Katie's age.
6. 5yrs ago: Tom's father = x yrs old.
Tom = x/3 yrs old.
NOW: Tom's father = (x+5)yrs old.
Tom = (x/3+5)yrs old.
5yrs from now:
(x/3+10) = (x+10)/2 = (x/2)+5,
(x/3)+10 = (x/2)+5,
x/3-x/2 = 5-10 = -5,
Multiply both sides by 6:
2x-3x = -30,
-x = -30,
x = 30.
x+5=30+5 = 35 yrs = Tom's father's age.
x/3+5 = 30/3 + 5 = 15yrs = Tom's age.
7. NOW: Sue = x yrs old.
Barry = (x+8)yrs old.
4 yrs from now:
x+12 = 2(x-5). Solve for x and (x+8).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 9th grade math word problems - i never can do word problems....please help... i ...
- word problems - I can never do word problems...please help!!!! Larry is 8 yrs ...
- Algebra - Let x equal the age, in human years, for a dog that is 2 years old or ...
- Algebra - Let x equal the age, in human years, for a dog that is 2 years old or...
- Math - Barry is 6 yrs old.Larry is twice as old as Barry.Terry is the same ...
- Math - Patel is 5 yrs older than sam. In 2 yrs time,Patel will be twice as old ...
- math - if a man was x yrs old y yrs ago,how old is he z yrs from now? a. 35 b....
- Maths - Fred is 10 yrs older than Ted. In 3 yrs time Fred will be 3 times as old...
- math - L is 3 times as old as D, who is five yrs older than C. If in 18 years L ...
- math 7 - Nila is now x years old. Three yrs ago, her brother ricky was twice as ...