Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 12:11am.
the widthe width of a rectangle is 6 inches less than the length. the perimeter is 72 inches. find the lengtj and the width
- geometry - Jai, Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 10:18am
first represent unknowns using variables:
let x = length of rectangle
let x-6 = width of rectangle (according to first statement of problem)
now we set up equation,, since in the problem we are given the perimeter, we can use this to set up the equation,,
recall that perimeter of rectangle is
P = 2*(L+W)
where L is the length and W is the width
72 = 2[ x + (x - 6) ]
we can divide both sides by 2 (to cancel 2 on the right side):
72/2 = x + x - 6
36 = 2x - 6
42 = 2x
x = 21 inches (length)
x-6 = 15 inches (width)
hope this helps~ :)
- geometry - rolo, Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 11:20am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- Math - The length of a rectangle is 5 inches less than 3 times the width. The ...
- Basic Algebra - The width of a rectangle is x inches long. The length of that ...
- math - The width of a rectangle is x inches long. The length of that rectangle ...
- math - GEOMETRY The formula for the perimeter of a rectangle is P = 2 + 2w, ...
- algebra - The length of a rectangle is 5 inches longer than its width. Its ...
- Algebra Homework, HELP! - 1) A rectangle has an area of 297 square inches and a...
- math - Suppose that the width of a rectangle is 5 inches shorter than the length...
- alegbra1 - The length of a rectangle is twice the width. If the length is ...