Posted by Adrianna on Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 10:48pm.
point on the hyperbola 9x^2−6y^2=10 closest to the point (0, 7).
y coordinate of each point= ?
positive x coordinate= ?
negative x coordinate= ?
CALC - Reiny, Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 11:56pm
let the point be P(a,b)
slope of line form P to (0,7) = (b-7)/a
18x - 12y dy/dx = 0
dy/dx = 18x/(12y) = 3x/(2y)
at P, dy/dx = 3a/(2b)
so the slope of the tangent at P is 3a/(2b)
by basic geometry the slope of that tangent and the slope of the line to (0,7) to P must be negative reciprocals of each other.
so (b-7)/a = -2b/(3a)
-2ab = 3ab - 21a
5ab = 21a
b = 21/5
sub into 9a^2 - 6b^2 = 10
9a^2 - 6(441/25) = 10
a = ± 4√181/15
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus-Applied Optimization Problem: - Find the point on the line 6x + 3y-3 =0...
- calc - A particle moves along the curve below. y = sqrt(8 + x^3) As it reaches ...
- statistics - a point is randomly selected within the rectangle with vertices at...
- math - A,B are two points on a given line L.L is the midpoint of the section AB...
- math - A,B,C are points on the line L, the coordinate of B=-2, c is a point that...
- Math - In a coordinate plane, Brittany labeled the coordinates for point m as (-...
- Pre-Algebra - The x- coordinate is 0 and the y-coordinate is negative. Is the ...
- Math - 19. Point A(4, 2) is translated according to the rule (x, y) (x + 1, y – ...
- COORDINATE GEOMETRY - A RAY OF LIGHT ORIGINATES FROM A(1,2) AFTER REFLECTION ON ...
- college calculus - a point is moving on the graph of xy=30. when the point is at...