Posted by Mehreen on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 6:11pm.
In the rough approximation that the density of the Earth is uniform throughout its interior, the gravitational field strength (force per unit mass) inside the Earth at a distance r from the center is gr/R, where R is the radius of the Earth. (In actual fact, the outer layers of rock have lower density than the inner core of molten iron.)
1. Using the uniform-density approximation, find an expression for the amount of energy required to move a mass m from the center of the Earth to the surface.
I wanted to do the following:
We know from the given information that F (from the gravitational field strength) = mg(r/R)
Then using W=Fd, you could get (mg(r/R))(R), where R cancels out and W=mgr. But Force isn't a constant. So how would you solve this problem then?
2. Calculate the ratio of the energy you found, to the energy required to move the mass from Earth's surface to a very large distance away.
- Physics - drwls, Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 6:56pm
1. For the work, you need to calculate the integral of F*dr from r=0 to R
F = M*g*r/R
Integral of F*dr = M*g r^2/(2R) @ r=R
2. To remove the object from the earth's graviational field, the work required is
integral of F*dr = M*g*R^2/r^2 dr from r=R to infinity
= M*g*R2/R - 0
- Physics - Mehreen, Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 7:25pm
I've tried both of those answers before but it simply asks me "How is g related to G, M, and R?"
I'm not really sure what else to do.
- Physics - drwls, Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 9:23pm
g = G Me/R^2, the value of the acceleration of gravity at the surface of the earth. Me is the mass of the earth. The M is my equations is the mass of the moved object.
- Physics - shmi, Saturday, March 8, 2014 at 5:07pm
I didn't understand what you did for part 2?
Answer this Question
- physics - A hole is drilled with smooth sides straight through the center of the...
- PHYSICS(HELP!!) - A hole is drilled with smooth sides straight through the ...
- physics help (elena) - A hole is drilled with smooth sides straight through the ...
- physics (PLS HELP) - A hole is drilled with smooth sides straight through the ...
- Physics - In the approximation that the Earth is a sphere of uniform density, it...
- Physics Classical Mechanics - A hole is drilled with smooth sides straight ...
- College Physics - n the approximation that the Earth is a sphere of uniform ...
- physics - Which of the following best describes the strength of the ...
- calculus - (1 pt) The acceleration due to gravity, g, is given by g = (G*M)/(r^2...
- Math - The gravitational acceleration, g, on the Earth is proportional to the ...