Posted by susie on Monday, April 4, 2011 at 7:14pm.
the perimeter of rectangle y is equal to its area. rectangle z has the same perimeter as rectangle y. the length of rectangle z is 5 inches and the width is 3 inches. explain how you can find the length and eidth of rectangle y.
- area, perimeter - Damon, Monday, April 4, 2011 at 7:38pm
perimeter = 2*5+2*3 = 16
2L + 2 W = 16 so L+W=8
WL = 16 so W = 16/L
L + 16/L = 8
L^2 + 16 = 8L
L^2 -8L + 16 = 0
(L-4)(L-4) = 0
L = 4
B = 16/L = 4
- area, perimeter - Reiny, Monday, April 4, 2011 at 7:46pm
from the first description
length ---- x
width ---- y
xy = 2x + 2y
xy - 2y = 2x
y(x-2) = 2x
y = 2x/(x-2)
2nd rectangle is 5 by 3, so its perimeter is 30
so now we know 2x+2y = 30
or x+y = 15
y = 15-x
sub that into the other equation, so
2x/(x-2) = 15-x
2x = 15x - x^2 - 30 + 2x
x^2 -15x + 30 = 0
by the formula
x = 12.623, and subbing back: y = 2.376
or x = 2.376 and subbing back x = 12.623
(notice 2.376 x 12.623 = 29.992 or 30 as expected
- Scrap my answer, go with Damonseter - Reiny, Monday, April 4, 2011 at 7:49pm
I must have have a had a brain-twitch
A 3 by 5 rectangle has a perimeter of 30 ????
Come on Reiny !!!!
- area, perimeter - private name , Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 8:56pm
i dont get that helppp
- area, perimeter - Anonymous, Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:06pm
No help :(
- area, perimeter - Anonymous, Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 7:46pm
what is the greatest perimeter of a rectangle wiht an area of 39 square feet
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The perimeter of rectangle Z is equal to its area.Rectangle Y has the ...
- math - the perimeter of rectangle y is equal to its area. rectangle z has the ...
- writing to explain - The perimeter of rectangle Y is equal to its area. ...
- basic geometric - 10. a rectangle has width the same as a side of a square whose...
- basic geometry - A rectangle has width the same asa a side of a square whose ...
- College Algrebra Math 133 unti 1 IP 1 - Suppose the width of a rectangle is 5 ...
- Algebra 1 - The perimeter of a rectangle equals the sum of the lengths of its ...
- math - Suppose that the width of a rectangle is 5 inches shorter than the length...
- maths - the length of a rectangle is 3 less than 5 times its width. Write a ...
- Math - Determine the perimeter and area of a rectangle that has a width of 6 ...