Posted by christina on Monday, March 28, 2011 at 8:20pm.
A cable 22 feet long runs from the top of a utility pole to a point on the ground 15 feet from the base of the pole. How tall is the utility pole?
geometry - lulu, Monday, March 28, 2011 at 8:27pm
set up a right triangle
the base is 15, hypotenuse 22, and the height is x. solve for x.
use the pythagorean theorum.
geometry - Ms. Sue, Monday, March 28, 2011 at 8:28pm
This looks like a problem for the Pythagorean Theorem.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
15^2 + b^2 = 22^2
225 + b^2 = 484
b^2 = 484 - 225
b^2 = 259
b = 16.09 feet
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Simple Math - Please explain to me what I need to do . A cable 35 feet long runs...
- algebra - A cable 25 feet long runs from the top of a utility pole to a point on...
- math - a flagpole is 25 feet tall. a truck runs into the pole and bends it at ...
- geometry - A guy wire is used to stabilize a utility pole. The wire is fastened ...
- math (algebra) - An auto dealer wants to string a wire from the top of a pole to...
- college - a guy wire 27 feet long runs from the top of the pole to a spot on the...
- Geometry - A telephone pole is supported by a steel cable which extends from the...
- Math - 1. To find the height of a pole, a surveyor moves 120 feet away from the ...
- trig - a vertical pole 35 feet high, standing on sloping ground, is braced by a ...
- Algebra - A tree is 38.5 feet tall casts a shadow that is 9 feet 4 inches long.A...