Posted by kim on Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 11:50pm.
An auditor of Health Maintenance Services reports 40 percent of policyholders 55 years and older submit a claim during the year. Fifteen policyholders are selected at random for company records.
a)how many of the policyholders would you expect to have filed a claim within the last year?
b)what is the probability that 10 of the selected policyholders submitted a claim last year?
c)what is the probability that 10 or more of the selected policyholders filed a claim last year?
d)what is the probability that more than 10 of the selected policyholders filed a claim last year?
statistics - MathGuru, Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 12:46pm
Find mean and standard deviation. Use z-scores to find z, then a z-table to find your probability based on the z-score. This is a normal approximation to the binomial distribution.
I'll get you started:
mean or expected value = np = (15)(.40) = ?
standard deviation = √npq = √(15)(.40)(.60) = ?
Note: q = 1 - p
Finish the calculations.
To find z-score:
z = (x - mean)/sd
Note: x = 10
Once you have the z-score, look in a z-table using the score to find your probability. Remember that the question is asking different questions when looking at the table.
statistics - Ace, Friday, April 1, 2011 at 11:35pm
Question , what does the letter q represent?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - An actuary at an insurance company estimates from exsiting data that on a...
- statistical reasioning - An actuary at an insurance company estimates from ...
- stats - IHI insurance is interested in determining whether younger drivers (...
- Stats - a) IHI insurance is interested in determining whether younger drivers (...
- Statistics Help Please - How do I tell if this is a mean or a proportion 1. ...
- math - An automotive insurance company has 25,000 policyholders. The accident ...
- statistics - A job in an insurance office involves telephone conversations with ...
- finance - The Blinkelman Corporation has just announced that it plans to ...
- statistics - A customer service division of a telecommunications firm receives ...
- statistics - any state auto insurance company took a random sample of 370 ...