Posted by Aubrey on Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 6:15pm.
I'm totally confused and this is due Monday-
We're dealing with electrical circuits and I have to construct a circuit with resistors of 10 Ohms, 20 Ohms, 30 Ohms and 20 Ohms. The total resistance has to be 42 Ohms-Can someone direct me how to even begin to draw this-I know Parallel resistors you add sum and take the reciprocal for total and series you had them together but where do I start with this-Please help_ I'm stuck and its the weekend and this is due Monday
- Physics - drwls, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 7:27pm
The 20 and 30 ohm resistors in parallel have an equivalent resistance of 12 ohms. Put the 10 and other 20 ohm resistors in series with that.
- Physics-Please recheck - Aubrey, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 7:47pm
I drew my circuit but now I'm still confused-if I have a 20 V battery, how do I calculate the current through two of the resistors(say the two parallel ones of 20 and 30
Would I use the formula
20V =I*12Ohm(which I just figured out)
20/12 = 1.67A But now I'm stuck because I don't know how to break it down into the 20 Ohm resistor and the 30 Ohm resistor
- Physics-oops! - Aubrey, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 7:50pm
In my calculations I think I should have said V=IR
V= 20V Battery I used so
20V = I * 20 Ohm= 1A
20V = I * 30 Ohm = .67A
- Physics - drwls, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:00pm
Your original question just asked for how to arrange the resistors to achieve a total effective resistance of 42 ohms. I told you how to do that. The total current going through each series resistor, and the battery, will be V/R = 20/42 = 0.476 Amp
The two resistors in parallel will share that current, with the lower (20 ohm) resistor getting 3/5 of it.
- Physics - Aubrey, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 8:16pm
The reason I only asked the first part was I first wanted to understand how to construct it before I figured out the rest because I have three more sets of circuits to do so now I understand that part. I wasn't trying to mislead you-I really appreciate the help alot and can now continue with the other circuits using this as a basis-Thank you again for all your assistance
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Circuits - Theres a circuit wired in series that has 4 resistors. 1) ...
- Science - There Are Three Resistance In A Parallel Circuit. Two Of Them Are ...
- Electrical theory - a series RL circuit contains two resistors and two inductors...
- physics - A 15.0 Ohms resistor is connected in series to a 120V generator and ...
- Physics (URGENT) - Three wire-wound resistors have the following values: 30 ohms...
- science - Calculate the resistance in a circuit in which a 9-volt battery ...
- physics, please help! - (a) Find the current in each resistor of the circuit ...
- science - there are three sources of resistance in a parallel ciruit. Two of ...
- science - according to ohms law what is the resistance of a lightbulb if that ...
- physics - In the circuit shown, find the voltage Vx (in Volts) if V = 17.0 Volts...