Posted by peyton on Friday, March 25, 2011 at 7:44pm.
Mr. Smart just bought a new dog named Fluffy. Mr Smart would like to enclose a play space for Fluffy in his back yard. The 5 side play space has the dimensions, in metres. They are x +11, 2x-4,3x.
Write a simplified expression for the number of metres of fencing needed to enclose this space. Would this be correct
5 (x+11) + (2x-4) +(3x)
Determine the amount of fencing Mr. Smart will need to enclose the space if x= 7m?
Would this be correct
5(x+11) + (2x-4) + (3x)
5x +55 +10x -20 +15x
(5x+10X+15x) + (55-20)
= 30x + 35
Do these answers seem right! Please help!! Thanks
grade nine math Polynomials - Reiny, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 7:56pm
I am confused by your solution.
In the opening part you state that the enclosure is 5 sided, but then you give only 3 dimensions.
in your expression you have 5 of the x+11, then you are adding the other two.
That would make it 7-sided, wouln't it?
Is there something missing in the first part?
grade nine math Polynomials - peyton, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:00pm
Sorry I should of stated that the 5 sided enclosure only gave 3 dimensions that's why I multiplied by 5. This is why I was unsure.
grade nine math Polynomials - Reiny, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:20pm
In that case neither the question nor your solution make any sense.
According to your algebraic expression, you have 7 sides.
grade nine math Polynomials - peyton, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:23pm
it was a 5 sided pentagon but the problem only gave me 3 dimensions.
grade nine math Polynomials - Reiny, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:27pm
As i said, the problem makes no sense, and cannot be solved as it stands.
grade nine math Polynomials - peyton, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:32pm
alright? so do you think i should question my own teacher?
grade nine math Polynomials - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 25, 2011 at 8:47pm
Of course! How else do you learn but by asking questions?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Fluffy, Spot and Champ combined dog years is 91. Spot is 14 years older ...
- Math - Andie is designing a rectangular play space for her dogs. The length of ...
- English - 1. Don't play computer games too much. 2. Don't play too many computer...
- Pre-Algebra-math - Mr.Jones bought 20 yards of fencing to make a pen for his dog...
- child development - how you can assess a child’s knowledge? i also have another ...
- math help - ) Brian has 96 feet of fencing to enclose a rectangular space in his...
- 5th grade math - mrs. watterson wants to fence in an area for her dog. she has ...
- math - Mary wants to build a fence in the yard to keep her dog from running away...
- math - Roger just got a puppy for his birthday. He and his mother will build a ...
- Math - Ernie wants to fence in a rectangular play yard for his two dogs. He has ...