Posted by qwerty123 on Monday, March 21, 2011 at 6:30pm.
The sides AB and AC of triangle ABC have lengths of 4 inches and 7 inches, respectively. The median AM is 3.5 inches. What is the EXACT length of BC. Show your work.
Geometry - Reiny, Monday, March 21, 2011 at 8:06pm
extend AM its own length of 3.5 to point D.
Join BD and CD
You now have a quadrilateral where the diagonals AD and BC bisect each other.
So ABDC must be a parallelogram .
In triangle ADC you could now use the cosine law to find angle DAC
Once you have that you can use the cosine law again to find MC in triangle AMC
double MC to find BC
Geometry - tchrwill, Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 9:36am
Triangle ABC, A at the top, B & C at the bottom, B left & C right.
The length of a triangle median is defined by
(Ma)^2 = (b^2 + c^2)/2 - a^2/4. (Ma is the median from vertex A to side "a".)
(Mb)^2 = (a^2 + c^2)/2 - b^2/4
(Mc)^2 = (a^2 + b^2)/2 - c^2/4
Letting BC = a, AB = c = 4, AC = b = 7 and AH = 3.5
Then, (3.5^2) = (7^2 + 4^2)/2 - a^2/4
Multiplying through by 4 yields 4(3.5)^2 = 2(49 + 16) - a^2 or
49 = 130 - a^2 or a^2 = 130 - 49 = 81 making a = 9 = BC.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - if the lengths of the sides of one triangle are 2 inches 5 inches and...
- geometry - The sum of the lengths of the sides of triangle ABC is 25 in. The ...
- Math - the 3 sides of a triangle have lengths of (x+7) inches, (5x+6) inches, ...
- geometry - Triangle ABC and triangle XYZ are similar. If AB, BC, and AC are 7 ...
- Math - The sum of the lengths of the sides of triangle ABC is 38in. The length ...
- math - The hypotenuse of a triangle is 13 inches long. Which of the follwoing ...
- Math - 1) what is the length of the diagonal of a square whose sides are 3 ...
- Geometry - 1.What is the perimeter of a rectangle with width 10 inches in length...
- Geometry - The lengths of the sides of a triangle are 3,5, and 7 inches. How ...
- Algebra 2 - Can you double check my answer The lengths of the sides of a ...