posted by Mike on .
Can you please check the sentences I wrote on the outbreak of World War One. What do you think? I went to the site you recommended to me (or just "me"?).
1) King Edward VII (1901-1910) came to the throne after the death of Queen Victoria.
2) The Edwardian Age saw the culmination of the process that had characterized British social life for the past two centuries: a widespread industrialization; the growth of urban areas; an increase in population; the extension of the transport network.
3) The first decade of the century saw the end of the balance of power in Europe.
4) In particular, Germany, with her (?) modern industries and powerful army and navy, was trying to extend her control over the Balkan states of south-east Europe, a move which would eventually endanger British positions in the Near East and Egypt.
5) Between 1902 and 1907 Britain therefore associated herself with France in the so-called “Entente Cordiale”, and with Japan and Russia. 6) From 1908 Britain also began to reorganize her navy, to keep up with Germany.On Edward’s death, his son George V (1910-36) came to the throne.
7) Life in the Georgian Age (1910-14) was in many ways the British counterpart of the Continental Belle époque: Victorian habits were continued in country houses, with tea parties in well-kept gardens.
... the site you recommended to me. <<Your first wording is correct!
2) ... past two centuries: widespread industrialization; ...
5) Therefore, between 1902 and 1907, Britain associated herself with France in the so-called “Entente Cordiale”, as well as with Japan and Russia.
6) From 1908, Britain also began to reorganize her navy to keep up with Germany. On Edward’s death, his son George V (1910-36) came to the throne.