Posted by Tracy on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 2:50pm.
I just want to get someone's opinion on a question that was on my son's reading test. He's in first grade.
Which word has the same beginning sounds as spring.
The answer is C could A not also be an answer. I know the spr in both words but spin begins with sp also. Could someone explain.
- Reading-phonics - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 2:52pm
I agree with you. However, since there can be only one answer, it must consider the first three letters as a beginning sound.
Please help your child learn to choose the BEST answer when he's confused.
- Reading-phonics - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 2:54pm
The word spin is close, but spring is closer.
~~ sp makes one sound; it's a phoneme.
~~ spr makes one sound; it's a phoneme, and it's distinctly different from sp because of the r.
I hope this makes sense.
- Reading-phonics - Tracy, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 3:00pm
Thanks. I just wanted another opinion. This a test the teacher made up herself and I just thought it was a little misleading but I guess that's to get them to think about it. Then to make things worse the very first choice is Spin. I'm not a teacher either and I guess I'm going to see some things a little different. Thanks again.
- Reading-phonics - Tracy, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 3:05pm
Thanks Writeacher. I guess I was writing my post before seeing your post. Thanks to both of you.
- Reading-phonics - Writeacher, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 3:08pm
You're very welcome.
I never thought those boring linguistics classes I had to take would ever come in handy, but they have ... especially when I was working with kids right out of ESL classes, still learning to spell English words!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH-PERCENTILES - I JUST TOOK A TEAS TEST(FOR PRACTICAL NURSING ADMISSIONS). ...
- ELA plz help me - In a paragraph, compare and contrast any two of the following ...
- Statistics - A study of reading ability in schoolchildren chose 60 fifth-grade ...
- fundamental concept and skills - Which approach to literacy best connects ...
- critical thinking - Which of the following is not a way of analyzing a reading? ...
- Child Psychology - Sara sets up an experiment with a control group and an ...
- basic college reading - main idea of mythMyth 2: You have to read every word. ...
- reading - how do you determine how many sounds a word has? I know how to tell ...
- Derrick - John kept track of all his math and reading test scores throughout the...
- psychology - Sara sets up an experiment with a control group and a experimental ...