Posted by shasha on Monday, March 14, 2011 at 7:36am.
The differential equation that governs the forced oscillation is shown below:
0.2 d²y/dt² + 1.2 dy/dt +2y = r(t) where r(t) is the external force.
Given that r(t) = 5 cos 4t with y(0) = 0 . find the equation of motion of the forced oscillations
- Differential equations-missing one initial condition - MathMate, Monday, March 14, 2011 at 8:57am
Normalize the equation by multiplying by 5:
0.2 d²y/dt² + 1.2 dy/dt +2y = 5 cos(4t) = r(t)
d²y/dt² + 6 dy/dt + 10y = 25cos(4t)
Find the complementary solution:
So the solution to the homogeneous equation is:
Now find the particular solution by undetermined coefficients:
Assume the particular solution to be:
and substitute in y of the the original equation:
d²yp/dt² + 6 dyp/dt + 10yp = 25cos(4t)
Compare coefficients of cos(4t) and sin(4t):
-24A-6B=0 => B=-4A
-6A+24B=25 => -102A=25 => A=-25/102
(substitute in homogeneous equation to verify that you get 25cos(4t) )
The general solution is therefore:
To solve the second order problem completely, you'll need two initial conditions. We are givn y(0)=0 at t=0.
We need another one (such as y'(0)=5 at t=0).
Substitute the initial conditions into the general solution above and solve for C1 and C2 to give the final solution of the initial value problem.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Diff eqn- IVP - A simple pendulum of length is oscillating through a small ...
- Diff eqn- IVP - A particle moves on the x-axis with an acceleration, a=(6t-4)ms...
- Undamped, forced oscillation - Undamped, forced oscillation?!?!? I have this ...
- MATH - Differential equations, initial value problem. The general equation of ...
- Math - An external sinusoidal force is applied to an oscillating system which ...
- differential equation - Write the model ODE and the implied initial values, and ...
- Forced Oscillation - drwls => I need your help =) - A 2.00kg object attatched...
- math (differential equation) - show that y sub n=cos(ncos^-1(x)) satisfies the ...
- Math - For the harmonic potential V(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 a) Find the total ...
- diff eqn. - y(t) = -0.2451 cos 4t + 0.9804 sin 4t + e^(-3t ) (A cos...