Posted by April on Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 1:16pm.
Aldo has feet of fencing. He will use it to form three sides of a rectangular garden. The fourth side will be along a house and will not need fencing. What is the maximum area that the garden can have?
Algebra and Trig - Reiny, Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 1:45pm
how many feet of fencing?
Suppose he has 120 feet, change the solution below to the appropriate number of feet in your question
let length of field be y, (y being parallel to house.)
let the width be x
2x + y = 120
y = 120-2x
area = xy
= 120x - 2x^2
If you are in Calculus .....
d(area)/dx = 120 - 4x = 0 for a max area
x = 30
y = 120-2(30) = 60
Max area = 30(60) = 1800 ft^2
if you don't take Calculus, complete the square
area = -2(x^2 - 60x + 900 - 900 )
= -2(x-30)^2 + 1800
max area is 1800, when x = 30
Algebra and Trig - tchrwill, Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 4:46pm
Considering all rectangles with a given perimeter, one side being another straight boundry, the 3 sided
rectangle enclosing the greatest area has a length to width ratio of 2:1.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Kira has feet of fencing. She will use it to form three sides of a ...
- Polynomials and quadratic application - I want to make a rectangular garden by ...
- Maath:) - Sam is going to plant a rectangular flower garden next to his house. ...
- algebra 1 - Charles wants to build a vegetable garden such that three sides of ...
- math - a rectangular garden with an area of 2112 square feet is to be located ...
- Math - You are designing a rectangular dog pen off the back of your house. The ...
- College math/bus calc - A rectangular-shaped garden has one side along the side ...
- MATH 11 help PLease! - A rectangular garden is made at the side of the house. ...
- Math - A rectangular garden is to be fenced off and divided into 3 equal regions...
- Math: Word Problem - A security fence encloses a rectangular are on one side of ...