Posted by Helper on Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 12:24am.
I'm working on logarithmic equations and I'm stuck on how my book arrives at the next step.
First, they use the change of base formula on,
log(sqrt(2))(x^3 - 2)
(sqrt(2)) is the base,changing to base 2
log(sqrt(2))(x^3 - 2)=
log2(x^3 - 2)/(log2(sqrt(2))
I understand that part.
The next step, the book has
log2(x^3 - 2)/(log2(sqrt(2))=
2 log2(x^3 - 2)
How did they get = 2 log2(x^3 - 2)??
I tried applying the different rules but I just can't get how they arrive at
= 2 log2(x^3 - 2)??
Please help. Thanks in advance.
Logarithms - Reiny, Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 7:40am
look at the part log2 √2
let x = log2 √2
then 2^x = √2
2^x = 2^(1/2)
x = 1/2
so log2(x^3 - 2)/(log2(sqrt(2))
= log2(x^3 - 2)/(1/2)
= 2log2(x^3 - 2)
Logarithms - Helper, Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 12:40pm
Thanks so much Reiny.
Logarithms - Helper, Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 1:36pm
Now, I feel stupid.
I guess I should not work so late at night.
I tried all these rules when all I needed to do was simplify log2√2 using the basic definition/relationship !!
Thanks again. I don't remember learning logs some 40 years ago in HS and teaching myself.
Glad tutors like yourself take time to help, even with obvious (stupid) questions such as mine was.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- TRig WIth LoGs help1!! - i have problem i can't solve and the book is no help.. ...
- Algebra 2 - -Explain the difference between log base b (mn) and ( log base b of ...
- math - Use the Laws of logarithms to rewrite the expression log(base 2)(11x(x-9...
- Math - Show that log base b [(x + (sqrt x^2-5))/5] is equal to -log base b (x-(...
- math(Please help) - 1) use the properties of logarithms to simplify the ...
- Pre-Calculus - Laws of Logarithms Without using a calculator use the change of ...
- Math Help please!! - Could someone show me how to solve these problems step by ...
- algebra - does log base of 4 sqrt(t/s)=1/2log base of 4 t - 1/2log base of 4s? ...
- Econ math/logarithms - If log with base b (2)=0.39 and log with base b (3)=0.61 ...
- Calculus - so we are doing integrals and I have this question on my assignment ...