Posted by Ally on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 5:34am.
Hi, please can someone tell me if this is the right number of significant figures.
8.1 x 10 to the power of -3 would have 2 sig fig
910 would have 3
175.0 would have 3
please can some tell me if I've got this right
Also how would I report each of the following measurements using both scientific notation and metric prefix system. Please can some tell me how I would do this step by step
Chemistry - Dr Russ, Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 6:11am
8.1 x 10^-3 would have 2 sig fig - agreed
910 would have 3 - agreed it could be 3 sig figs, but it could also be 2 sig figs
175.0 would have 3 - no this is 4 sig figs.
0.751 g is 7.51 x 10^-1 g (which is 3 sig figs)
260 Hz is 2.60 x 10^2 Hz (which is 3 sig figs) as 260 could also be 2 sig figs then 2.6 x 10^2 Hz is also a possible answer. You might even give the answer as 2.60 x 10^-1 kHz.
710600 N Again this could be 4,5 or 6 sig figs. Thus 7.10600 x 10^5 N (which is 6 sig figs) is a possible answer. I would be possible to give this as 7.10600 x 10^2 kN.
Chemistry - carla, Tuesday, March 8, 2011 at 9:46am
8.1 x 10 to (-3)power has 2 sig fig.
910 has 2 sig fig zero doesn't count unless there is a decimal point after it.
175.0 has 4 decimal point is present and zero is to the left of the other sig figs.
hope this helps!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - I always thought I understood significant figures...until I attempted to ...
- Chemistry - What should be the number of significant figures in the following ...
- Physics Sig Figs - When you are multiplying two numbers, how do you determine ...
- Physics Mathematics - do we have to have the same amount of significant numbers ...
- Chemistry - Please tell me if my answers are right. Suppose that a series of ...
- Significant Figures - The problem is 150 - 1 - 0.182 Since the least sig. fig. ...
- SIG FIGS - How many significant figures does 22.0, 0.22, 22. , 0.022? Im just ...
- Science - I'm a little confused when it comes to significant figures. Where it ...
- Science help - A drop of oil volume 0.05cm^3 is released from a medicine dropper...
- Significant figures in chemistry - can someone please explain significant ...