Posted by alex on Monday, March 7, 2011 at 8:17pm.
sovle using substituion
- math - jai, Monday, March 7, 2011 at 8:41pm
(1) x + 5y = -3
(2) 3x - 2y = 8
substitution method: we first choose one of the equation, and express one of the variables in terms of the other variable,, here let's choose equation (1), and express x in terms of y:
x + 5y = -3
x = -3 - 5y
now, we substitute this to equation (2), and we solve for y:
3x - 2y = 8
3(-3 - 5y) - 2y = 8
-9 - 15y -2y = 8
-17y = 17
y = -1
substituting this back to either equations to get x (let's choose (1)):
x = -3 - 5y
x = -3 -5(-1)
x = -3 + 5
x = 2
hope this helps~ :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Can someone help me solve the following problems using the substituion ...
- Algebra - What is the answer to 7x+2y=16 and -21x-6y=24 using the substituion ...
- Algebra - 1,Sovle using the substitution method. Show your work. If the system ...
- Substituion MATH - 1) -x+10y=60 -4x+16y=32 2) -1/2x - 1/4y=3 1/3x+1/6y=2
- Algebra - Sovle using the elimination method. Show your work. If the system has...
- math - how do i sovle this equation. x/5 = 12/15
- Math Help - Sovle w^2-13w+42=0 I get -6,-7 is this correct????
- math - sovle the linear equation -8.3=x+6.1 Thank you
- math (algerba 1) - how would you sovle this? multiply: (a + 5) (a - 5)
- math - sovle the following equation 8/x-1=9/(x)(x+2) i know the answer is -1,7 ...