Posted by Nicole on Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 7:23pm.
I have been asked to solve this two different ways. The first way is to use the chain rule and then simplify (which I have already done properly), and the second way is to simplify and then differentiate (not necessarily with the chain rule). I am stuck on how to simplify this question and then how to differentiate it.
Square Root(9x^2) ??
Also I am stuck on how to use the chain rule to differentiate and then simplify this question, as well as the second way where I have to simplify and then differentiate it:
I would appreciate if someone would be able to explain these two questions to me, thank you.
- calculus - Damon, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 7:33pm
y = [ 9 x^2 ] ^.5 ??
let z = 9 x^2 then dz/dx = 18 x
then we have y = z^.5
dy/dz = .5 z^-.5 = .5/3x
but chain rule
dy/dx = dy/dz*dz/dx (.5 /3x)(18 x)
= 9/3 = 3 at last
y = (9 x^2)^.5 = 3x
dy/dx = 3 the end
- calculus - Damon, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at 7:37pm
I am not going to struggle through that with the chain rule. Go about it the same way as I did upstairs, z = 8 x^3
remember (8x^3)^(1/3) = 2x
(2x)^2 = 4 x^2
y = 4x^2
dy/dx = 8 x the end
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Derivative Differentiate f(x)=(5x-4)^2 There are two ways to do this...
- Math - Chain Rule - I've been having some difficulities with this but I think I ...
- MoRe HeLp PlEaSe!! (calc) - Also can I get some help with this LONG, TIRESOME ...
- Calculus - I'm having problems with this one. Can't get the right answer. ...
- Algebra - I have been asked a question regarding inconsistency. How would I use ...
- Math (Calculus) - Hello, Could somebody please help me with the following ...
- MATH - hi i was just wondering if u could help me with this math problem. find ...
- Calculus - What would an example of a logarithmic function that contains two ...
- calculus-derivatives - Hello, please help me, I'm studying for a test. :) I won'...
- Substitution Method-Plz help - Use the Substitution method to solve the system ...